Backstage Intercom Best Solution

Note the relays are SPDT. If / when desired, it's possible to wire two attenuators in series with one (or one group of) speaker to effectively achieve a lower confidence level while paging. Normally, if you have paging a speaker in close proximity to a paging mic, the mic may cause feedback during paging due to its local speakers 's attenuator being bypassed to full level for the duration of a page. In systems with multiple page mics in various locations, having the local attenuator dip the level below feedback is desirable so a person paging can hear not only their own page, but can also be aware of any other users trampling over their page and thus needing to repeat their page.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Just pointing out it calls itself priority paging. That's all. And multiple paging mics seems like potential chaos. I my one and only system I had one, which with switch panel allowed shutting off local priority page feature.

Just pointing out it calls itself priority paging. That's all. And multiple paging mics seems like potential chaos. In my one and only system I had one, which with switch panel allowed shutting off local priority page feature.
In larger installations you may have three or more rehearsal halls, each with its own paging mic. SM's paging from within rehearsals often are working as unobtrusively as possible and thus rarely have a an active paging speaker within earshot. Multiple paging mics are fairly common in SM offices, SM booths, back stage ASM's and temporary tables within audience areas during rehearsals and LX cueing sessions.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Not in the typical high school, like the original poster was asking about. Over 35,000 high school theatres, and less than 1000 professional. Just trying to keep big picture in mind.

Just pointing out it calls itself priority paging. That's all. And multiple paging mics seems like potential chaos. In my one and only system I had one, which with a switch panel allowed shutting off the local priority page feature.
A down-side to having a manual switch to disable the local speaker while paging is you need to remember to re-enable the local speaker once you've completed your page. If you don't re-enable the local speaker, the next time someone else in the building makes a page, people in the vicinity of the speaker you've muted miss the page. Using two attenuators as previously described to provide a 'dim' or 'confidence' level while paging automates the function and eliminates any problems associated with unintentionally leaving the speaker muted.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

You have a wealth of great information here, and I do not disagree with any of it. A good 70v system is essential.

I am a freelance A1/A2, and I will share with you a neat "trick" I employ on one particular amateur variety show.

Since the house has a good sound system with plenty of monitor channels and mic inputs- I am able to run one monitor backstage. I also set up a mic on a stand next to that monitor, plus a mic on a boom at FOH (the stage manager sits next to me in the booth, and calls the show and starts tracks). We can call cues on that backstage monitor from our FOH mic for actors who are standing by. I set up a small speaker on my desk and have that backstage mic routed directly to my speaker. If someone needs to talk to me or the sm - step up and talk. I turn it down low so you have to get on the mic for me to hear it - but I do not hear the room noise on my speaker. This is an always on system, and I control the volumes of both speakers. It works great for that show. I learned the trick from one of my gurus.

In case the idea hasn't died on the vine yet ... I do not recommend using IP phones over WiFi for anything ... but especially cues and life safety. If you manage to get it working today, next month you'll be chasing ghosts when the 100 member chorus hits the dressing room with their phones all seeking WiFi signal. I learned this the hard way when I set up the largest outdoor event I'd ever A1d for relying on wireless link to my tablets from console at Stage L edge for FOH mixing ... then lost control when the crowds of phone carrying attendees poured in. Saved the day by running 300' of cat5 at the last minute and moving my console's access point to under the FOH riser.

I've also sold and supported IP telephony since 2001. Believe me, you don't want to do this on WiFi. Even if the WiFi worked flawlessly, you need to locally power each IP phone. How easy is it to unplug, lose, or damage a wall wort transformer?

What might work tho is taking a look at IP paging / intercom stations running on POE. You still need to cable but centrally powered from Ethernet switches (with UPS). These can solve the problem of priority volume override, too, in software.

You have a wealth of great information here, and I do not disagree with any of it. A good 70v system is essential.

I am a freelance A1/A2, and I will share with you a neat "trick" I employ on one particular amateur variety show.

Since the house has a good sound system with plenty of monitor channels and mic inputs- I am able to run one monitor backstage. I also set up a mic on a stand next to that monitor, plus a mic on a boom at FOH (the stage manager sits next to me in the booth, and calls the show and starts tracks). We can call cues on that backstage monitor from our FOH mic for actors who are standing by. I set up a small speaker on my desk and have that backstage mic routed directly to my speaker. If someone needs to talk to me or the sm - step up and talk. I turn it down low so you have to get on the mic for me to hear it - but I do not hear the room noise on my speaker. This is an always on system, and I control the volumes of both speakers. It works great for that show. I learned the trick from one of my gurus.
@stagemanager1 Further to the "wealth of info' "
1; Realize I'm writing of HISTORY. I'm referencing how the Stratfordshakespearean Festival's 70 volt Monitor / Page system was when I took over as IA Sound Head in their Main Stage thrust stage venue in 1977. I'm CERTAIN their monitor / page systems have changed several times over. I last worked in Stratford in 1998 when I set-up and operated their analog multi-track studio in the basement of their Avon theatre prosc' venue.
Back to the Festival Theatres' Monitor / Page system in 1977.
Far USR back stage was the SM's office, home to 1 PSM, 4 or 5 SM's, 6 or 8 ASM's and 1 PA. (These were their official Equity titles.)
Each production in the rotating rep' typically had one SM in the SM booth high up in the ceiling on the rear center-line. In 1977, the patrons wrapped 220 degrees around the thrust stage.
Each production had a "desk" ASM who lived at the USR SM desk immediately outside the SM office. This ASM called all pre-show announcements, along with warnings for every scene change, end of acts, end of intervals, etcetera. The desk ASM also called warnings for every actor who'd been off stage for several scenes to ensure they'd be standing by where and when they needed to be for their next entrance. They'd also mention what character a 'spear-chucker' was about to portray on their next entrance.
A second ASM known as the Props ASM also worked back stage ensuring all props were lined up in order wherever actors next needed them.
The SM up in the ceiling booth dealt with calling all cues and operating all cue lights. Many locations had two differently colored cue lights: Red for actors; Green for musicians. Every cue light housed a redundant pair of incandescent lamps. Equity members acted. AF of M members blew horns, bugles, and beat drums.

2; Back to the "desk" ASM. On the wall immediately in front of and above their head was the heart of the Monitor / Page system.
The rack housed two butch 70 volt amplifiers and one tiny 5 or 10 watt amp.
Across the bottom 4 RU, conveniently within reach, were two rows of 5 position lever switches. There was a lever switch for every major group of paging speakers and a few switches dedicated to only one speaker.
Each switch could be set to any of 5 positions: Monitor with Page over-ride. Monitor only with zero interruptions. Pages only. Off. Emergency calling with talk-back.
One of the butch amplifiers fed uninterrupted performance monitor audio to the Monitor Only bus.
The second butch amplifier fed monitor with page over-ride to the the Monitor with Page bus.
Whenever a page was initiated, a relay connected the Page Only bus to this second amplifier for the duration of the page.
The tiny 5 or 10 watt amplifier allowed the "Desk" ASM to call directly to a monitor speaker or group of speakers.
This amplifier also permitted the "Desk" ASM to activate another momentary switch and listen to the selected speaker or group of speakers.
The intercom function was most commonly employed to ensure actors were standing by in the two vomitory entrances house right and house left. The Monitor / Page speakers in the vomitory's were down a ramp and around a 180 degree turn, thus virtually impossible to be heard by patrons.

Gotta go, it's lunch time here and my alarm is calling me.

@stagemanager1
EDIT
: To mention limiters.
Stratford was Stratford and somewhat "different" than most of our producing theatres. When I began in March 1977, the Monitor / Page limiter was an Eventide Omnipressor. I was told the Omnipressor had been purchased in a hurry when their original limiter had to be returned to its manufacturer for service. Months later a package arrived containing the original monitor / page compressor / limiter. Imagine my surprise upon finding a mint UREI 1176LN Blackface! I thought it a bit excessive but out came the Omnipressor and in went the 1176. The "emergency replacement" Omnipressor found a happy home in a rack up in my sound booth where it easily fulfilled my processing needs producing SFX and music recordings.

Stratford was Stratford and operated at a somewhat unique budget level. While many theatres' were getting along with Sony and Tascam 1/4" recorders, Stratford was running 1/4" and 1/2" Scully 2 tracks and 4 tracks; not 1/4 tracks but 1/4" half track stereo decks and 1/2" four track quad decks. Eventually, the Avon upgraded to full bore Studers and, after my time, the Festival Main stage upgraded to MCI's.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
+1 on everything Ron Hebbard said re: intercom. I also suggest a simple FOH camera with a video feed sent to a dressing room or any overflow room. We split the FOH camera feed from or SM station and feed it to those screens and it works great!

+1 on everything Ron Hebbard said re: intercom. I also suggest a simple FOH camera with a video feed sent to a dressing room or any overflow room. We split the FOH camera feed from our SM station and fed it to those screens and it works great!
@Dan Fischer Even better if / when it's IR sensitive and your stage is flooded with IR so SM's and understudies can see clearly in black outs eliminating LX cues being called while the "dead body" is frantically galloping towards their exit.
Revealing the "dead 82 year old body(s)" miraculously springing to life and racing out of character for an exit is somewhat contrary to the suspension of DIS belief.
In many ways, composite video sans digital delays were easier to implement. Progress is NOT necessarily always an improvement.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Reactions: Pip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back