Backstage Monitor Mic

Wojo

Our 134-seat theatre has a good Assisted Listening Device (ALD). I needed to install a backstage monitor so I installed a splitter in the cable from ALD mic and ran it to a powered speaker backstage. It works but the volume is very low, even with the mic input and volume turned up all the way. What can I do? New mic to power everything? Or a separate mic just for the monitor (what type?)? Our grid is about 18-feet off the stage floor and the mic hangs center stage. Stage is small - only 30-feet x 15-feet. Not sure what to do.

Hi Wojo,

So, does the mic hook directly into the ALD system, or does it go through some sort of mixer first? What sort of splitter are you using? What's the powered speaker? Pictures might help if you have them.

Hi Wojo,

So, does the mic hook directly into the ALD system, or does it go through some sort of mixer first? What sort of splitter are you using? What's the powered speaker? Pictures might help if you have them.
The ALD mic plugs directly into the system via an XLR cable. I'm guessing the mic came with the ALD system. I simply added an XLR splitter to the cable from the mic. One split I plugged into the ALD system, the other I plugged into an XLR cable run directly to the speaker - it's a Pyle powered speaker. I'll try to get some specs and/or pics on the speaker and splitter.

This sounds like a great solution. I'm grateful for this advice. I will try it out and report back! Thanks.

Many powered speaker do have mic level inputs so before you go running out to purchase anything can you provide us the specific model for the powered speaker? Also, have you tried the ALS system since you inserted the splitter and is it still working the same or was that level also affected? Knowing the ALS devices you have and how you split the mic signal might also shed some insights.

I think I understand what TimmyP is suggesting, but I agree with Thomas. The comp adds complexity and doesn't solve the underlying issue. Compressors never solve gain structure issues. The OP needs a preamp to get to line level. I've never used the Pyle stuff before, but before you go looking to buy more gear, take a second look at the speaker. Most active speakers I've run across have a switch to toggle the input between mic level and line level (and inadvertently switching it under load can be quite the event). See if yours has it, and switch it to mic if it isn't already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back