Backstage sound systems

I think i would get in alot of trouble for the drill bit + hammer drill option :-D ! I do not think they are connected with phone line (there is a rumor arround the school that there is not a single phone line in the building because all our phones are wired up with Cat-5) but i dont really know, it's something to think about in the future!

well, there is a bit of a difference between 22guage 4 2 pair phone wire and 24 guage cat 5 4 pair. If your lucky it might be 4 conductor, if your not lucky it will be 2 conductor. *lol* find a ladder and test your luck

wow my schools paging system is a mess. most of the wires are just twist'n'tape method. lol. not even crimp connectors. I've got it all fixed up now.

we just use one of our aux to feed our backstage moniters. works good but we recently found out that the amp is kinda broke but it still works for now.

well just some old speakers hung around backstage. we run it through our aux 3. we have 4 perment hanging mics. we have one on sl and sr. one in our workroom and one in the classroom(makeup room). we also have a camera and the tv moniters backstage. very helpful.

Now that sounds like a good idea! Cameras back stage! As I am, a one man crew, it would be great to be able to see when people are ready back stage. There is probably close to 0 chance I will ever get $$ for that though. Maybe if i get enough old computers and an old webcam and acess to the school network (and time to do it (now that's the real stretch!)) I could rig somethng up, but that kinda stytem is probably way overkill and would me more work then it would be worth! I can always drool though! :)

Yes, i'm building my IR light fixture now. All i need is a security camera and I'm set.

You have one speaker or one mic in SR/SL/dressing room etc..

I'm going to have a speaker in the music room (backstage pass behind) dance studio (used as dressing room) 2 speakers per side SR and SL and a speaker per dressing room.

i'm probably going to run a wire backstage this year, and put a small amp, maybe like, a guitar combo amp or something, that woudl work...we just have one BIG backstage room...:) I might also put something in the bathroom (one bathroom...the other is usually locked so guys and girls both use the bathroom that has one stall and one urinal, but only one person at atime :) usually, our shows have like 20 people max. For costumes and stuff beforehand, we use the main bathrooms, and that is what the audience uses. But during the show if you have to go, hold it or ues the small one! :) I might run somethng out there. For some reason, I always end up with two parts and have to make comstume changes, usually then I have to change back too. It would have been nice to have a speaker in there to hear if I am on time or not.

and a camera....possible!

ccfan213 said:
we ended up doing soundchecks up till the minute the doors opened.
Whats even worse?...one time the house manager opened up the house without consulting us. We were doing sound checks rather hastily as we were already late when i see audience members coming in...lets just say that the house manager and i had a few words later

gremlin1287 said:
ccfan213 said:
we ended up doing soundchecks up till the minute the doors opened.
Whats even worse?...one time the house manager opened up the house without consulting us. We were doing sound checks rather hastily as we were already late when i see audience members coming in...lets just say that the house manager and i had a few words later
wow that sucks, you should give the house manager a walkie talkie or clearcom or something

I have a camera that is set up to the whole school, and when anyone turns the tv to the certain channel, it shows what is on stage. I also have tvs on both sides of the stage with moniters below, so everyone backstage an hear their cue. :p

that happen to us at new court theatre, stupis ushers.... we have one main camera(i think panasonic) that is controlled by the sm mounted outside of the booth. we have on above stage so we in the booth can see them and one backstage but the one backstage is rather old and crappy. i have a old crappy crappy one i might mount in the pit our i can borrow our civic theatre camera......

wow, nice setups everyone!

@ gremlin1287: that stinks!!

I have been lucky with getting people into the auditorium because I am one of the only people with keys, so if they want to open the doors, they need to come through me! ::evil laugh::

Relating to everyone's setups here, how's the visibility from your booths to the stage?

My Auditorium has a back row of seats, and then at hte same level, an isle, and then at the same level the tech booth. The problem is, we are set so far back if you are sitting in a normal chair, the only thing you can see is the very top edge of the curtain!

Instead of installing a video system, the construction comany decided to buy us "high" chairs (basicly rolly computer chairs that the seat goes up to chest height when you are standing next to it). Thye work and probably give us better visibility then a TV system, but they are kinda hard to get up onto and you can really move arround the booth too well (your feet dont touch the ground and you pratcally need a ladder to get up and down). What's everyone's situation with this, and how have you been able to overcome it with monitor systems and/or other nifty tricks?

(sorry if this is making the thread go off topic too much.... if someone has a problem with it, i can make a new thread for it)

My booth is the best part of my auditorium. I can see just about the entire stage from the audio position (SR side of the booth) and the entire stage can bee seen from the lighting position. The booth is on the second floor of the school. The stage is level with the first floor of the school and drops 3 feet where the first row of seating is, at the 10th row of seating it is even with the first floor of the school again. The remaining rows start on the first floor and end on the second. Its really steep theatre seating but it works well. The booth/tech gallery are directly above the 10th row of seats. The auditorium measures about 98 feet from centre stage to back wall. Make sense?

Is your booth sealed or not? Mine is thankfully NOT sealed. I can see and hear everything perfectly, and the audience cant see or hear me.

i have good visibility from our booth hearing on the otehr hand not so good. we out our sliding windows back in this year at least everythign inside is safe.

back on topic for one night our moniters went out so we set up our protable system in the back and sent audio out through an empty matrix and through our snake to back there, it worked pretty good.

lol ya, jason, my setup sounds a good deal like yours (the whole two story thing) except mine is set back. (I dont have the measurements, but I will probably have to get them soon for projector work, long story about that, but this forum isnt the place for it)

My booth is sealed, with sliding windows, so that 1/4th of the window on eather side slides to the middle to make the middle 2 layers thick when the windows are open. the thing is a brick echo box, and the sound is horrible in it. I often get up and walk to the door to hear what is going on outside. We have one monitor speaker in the booth, but it is some generic in roof PA system speaker that isnt worth 2cents. Right now I dont even have it wired to anything because it is more or less pointless (it is mounted right above the door, as far away from the sound equipment as you can be and still be in the booth!)

i think he meant a monitor in the bathroom, not a camera

Users who are viewing this thread

Back