Automated Fixtures Bad Boy

soundman

PRG : Bad Boy? Luminaire

PRG has released there new light to the public. I saw it over the summer and was impressed by a few of its features but I am a little werry of it because they went beck to servo motors instead of stepper motors. Only time will tell how it will hold up. The prototype I saw was a bit beefy but they are thinking that for production they will be able to shave off some height and weight.

In short its a fast light with HD gobos.

Im interested in seeing how it does, and what kind of light PRG can make. From the pics on the site in kind of looks like it's all fans and vents...

And only 41 DMX channels! Will this work on my Express 24/48?:twisted:

edit: Total weight does not exceed 140 lbs (63.5 kg). Are they nuts?! 44.5" (1130mm) tall!?

Last edited:
At that weight, hanging the light may cause B.B. and that doesn't refer to "Bad Boy."

The cases they had for the proto types were desinged well as are the lights so hanging them or putting them on the floor wasn't a back breaker. The bad boy has handles on the top of the yoke arms. Right were you put your hand when dealing with VL 3Ks and 3500s only to smash your fingers when the head flips.

Its about time some people experiment with servo's in lights. Problem with servo's are their size they are much faster and more accurate than stepper motors. I think it is weird that a production company is a distributer for clay paky (if you want clay paky in North America, you have to go through PRG), and yet they are also making their own light. Sounds like PRG is taking the same steps highend did, by starting out as a rental house for clay paky. (anyone notice how close an older clay paky fixture and an intellabeam is?) I will try to post some pics of their closeness.

Heya Tim, I suspect the general public won't have much of a chance to rent or buy these, and the Clay Packy line will be. Much like they keep the Series 400 distro system and the Virtuoso in house, PRG seems to have absorbed some of the old Vari*Lite "never sell" mentality.

I suspect the movement from servos will be really nice. they have a much higher resolution than steppers, and are much more expensive. the touch screen is also not cheap at all. the incorporation of these expensive features is one of the reasons I suspect we won't be seeing it for sale in the near future.

peace, Tim Olson

Actually, you won't be seeing this light for sale at all. It will be another one of PRG's rental only products.

I'd love to check them out, as I have a PRG location 20 minutes from me and rent from them a few times a year. They are a huge company but I will have to say that they have been great with me and I only do about 2K worth of rentals from them a year and their prices aren't bad at all!!! Hopefully I'll get to check out one of these Bad Boys!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back