Bad strobe light

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
"His next gig's Saturday at the National Cannabis Festival"

Perhaps there's "enhancing factors" was at play.

Nevertheless, strobe lights and blinders are the lamest tool in the concert LD's box.

Nevertheless, strobe lights and blinders are the lamest tool in the concert LD's box.
But a tool none the less. Like any other lighting effect, it may have it's place at a particular point in a particular show. The problem is that the effect is WAY overused. If a show is nothing but "special effects", then none of the effects are really special in the end. Hitting blinders with every kick of the drum becomes old after about 2 measures. Much like having your moving lights do nothing but move until they are little more then bobbing buckets of trash light. A show should be built based on a design that starts by examining the music and creating effects that enhance the show. At that point you select what equipment will fill the needs. Too many shows now look at what equipment can be afforded in a given budget, and then how much that equipment can be used to get your "money's worth."

As for the original complaint I would also suspect that there were other factors involved that may have "enhanced" the physical effect. (said nicely) How long do you have to be on stage before you learn "don't look directly into the follow spot." The same is true about any bright source. This lesson is usually learned in the first two or three minutes. (Right up there with "Don't look into the sun.")

Someone who likes to see and read about people's design - I get annoyed and frustrated with every designer's pictures and videos on instagram that are truly just a dozen or more moving lights strobing or sharpies doing the same circle chase and thinking this is good design.
Thankfully the type of music events I enjoy going to are far more subtle with their lighting effects and tasteful enough for the lighting to follow the mood of the song. What a concept. But I guess when every song is the same, what's a designer to do.

At the last concert I saw, the first song was just blinders, the whole song... it got slightly better.

The best was Glass Animals - not huge, but definitely very creative with a second-tier touring budget.

The hanging props were made of individually lit cubes.

That mirrored pineapple was amazing when fully lit.
proxy.php

"

My next tour we're touring 18 Atomics, and 8 JCD's. You've just made me feel like a real peice of crap! Although, I agree your correct in receiving venues where the house tech doesn't know the music too well and strobes and blinders are something you can't undo if you're timing it poorly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back