Vintage Lighting Bantam Golde RotoChrome repair

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
So I won this E-Bay Golde Bantam Super Spot - RotoChrome version. Totally 1960's psychedelic type of concept.
ANTIQUE STAGE SPOTLIGHT LAMP ROTOCHROME COLOR WHEEL - eBay (item 150557774433 end time Feb-12-11 14:53:28 PST)

This is the first fixture I have ever bought designed specifically to be a rotating color wheel. I now know why it was listed for like $10.00 as opposed to others currently on the market that are selling for like $100.00 each. (I got lucky in it’s like $22.00 price though I think.) Very rough condition but assuming I can fabricate it’s missing louvered top cover (good challenge) and rear spring like handle (a bit easier) - done in other cosmetics, missing an inner louver and painting reproduced after rust even on the brightwork fixed. TBA on the wiring and saving of the socket of a P-28s I have not seen before. (This fixture in the past was seemingly running hot... someone “fixed” it and got lazy on wiring and re-assembly after that. An old repair given the wiring and the socket was never replaced or fixed it would seem in being very arched.) Lamp is almost comical in still working but only because someone soldered it’s outer shell back to the inner base. Comical because when they soldered the loose socket to it’s inner part, they did so at a not correct angle. Lamp sits in it’s socket at like a 5 degree angle.

Bantam fixtures given their chrome flutes and shiny bronze wire grid tops and handles are very artistic - even if mostly cosmetic over function. (They really look cool.) Stuff like chrome C-Channels over some of the flutes to make it shiny (or perhaps to add some structure to it) - this even if the flutes they are installed on are cosmetic only in need.... It’s mostly a box spot with rounding over of it’s body applied. (Seemingly a lot of versions of it on the market.) I already have a I think 1950's PC Super Spot version of one that even amongst around 100 antiques, is still one of the fixtures most people are drawn to due to looking cool. I’m now working on the color wheel version and hope I win the slide projector version TBA.

One thing I noted in cleaning the silvered mirror was that it has a blue tint to it. My other version doesn’t have that. Wondering if assuming 1950's - 60's technology, they were doing some form of color correction to the T-28 incandescent lamps at the time? This is a color rotating fixture also as a note - attempting to help the blue pop and other colors be more accurate in color correction? Find it strange and never seen a silvered reflector before with a blue tint. Anyone further explain beyond dichroic mirrors it is not? This is a silvered mirror with a blue tint to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back