Baptism by Fire w/Strand 300 - help!

I'm a public school music teacher on the job for 12 years. I have worked in recording studios and have a good set of skills with computers and audio. I do not, however, have experience with lighting systems and programming for musicals, shows, plays, etc. I have become the go-to person in our building for all lighting/audio. We have a Strand 300 that has been used since it's purchase 5 years ago by a few other people, none of whom had any real knowledge about what they were doing.

Thus far, I have figured out how to turn it on :) and turn up, down, on and off all of the approximately 120 light bulbs/lamps and house lighting that we have. It seemed to me that people had programmed layers of messy things over and over on the system so I was able to clear whatever was set previously to the faders/sliders. Now, I wish I hadn't. I know what lights are where in our auditorium so I can enter levels (for example) for house lights to be on

dimmer 96 thru 120 @ 90%

Then I turn down house lights when the first group takes the stage during a concert and turn on the stage lights to 90%

dimmer 96 thru 120 @ 0%
dimmer 20 thru 60 @ 90%

Of course, I would like to assign the house lights and the stage lights to the sliders so I can avoid putting each group to 90, 80, 70, 60 and so on so it takes each group down gradually.

HOW DO ASSIGN LIGHTS 96 through 120 (house lights) to one of the faders and make it permanent? I have the PDF manual for Strand 300/500 and I've also looked over BobbyHarrell's website tutorials. Unfortunately I have to get ready to program with our upcoming musical and we are in concert season. I need someone, anyone's help with getting the faders back in use so I can easily have someone watch the board and move things up and down easily without messing with commands and manually changing channel levels.

I'm a public school music teacher on the job for 12 years. I have worked in recording studios and have a good set of skills with computers and audio. I do not, however, have experience with lighting systems and programming for musicals, shows, plays, etc. I have become the go-to person in our building for all lighting/audio. We have a Strand 300 that has been used since it's purchase 5 years ago by a few other people, none of whom had any real knowledge about what they were doing.

Thus far, I have figured out how to turn it on :) and turn up, down, on and off all of the approximately 120 light bulbs/lamps and house lighting that we have. It seemed to me that people had programmed layers of messy things over and over on the system so I was able to clear whatever was set previously to the faders/sliders. Now, I wish I hadn't. I know what lights are where in our auditorium so I can enter levels (for example) for house lights to be on

dimmer 96 thru 120 @ 90%

Then I turn down house lights when the first group takes the stage during a concert and turn on the stage lights to 90%

dimmer 96 thru 120 @ 0%
dimmer 20 thru 60 @ 90%

Of course, I would like to assign the house lights and the stage lights to the sliders so I can avoid putting each group to 90, 80, 70, 60 and so on so it takes each group down gradually.

HOW DO ASSIGN LIGHTS 96 through 120 (house lights) to one of the faders and make it permanent? I have the PDF manual for Strand 300/500 and I've also looked over BobbyHarrell's website tutorials. Unfortunately I have to get ready to program with our upcoming musical and we are in concert season. I need someone, anyone's help with getting the faders back in use so I can easily have someone watch the board and move things up and down easily without messing with commands and manually changing channel levels.

Take a day and sit down with your console and go through this tutorial: Strand 500 Series Console Tutorial

It is written for the 500 series, but the same stuff applies to the 300 series.

Welcome to CB! I am moving this thread to the Lighting Forum so it is posted in the proper place. Most members do not regularly visit the New Member Board. You will have better traffic there.

~Dave

I recommend that you give us a call at Strand tech support so that we can go over some basic things with you as the current way you are working is not the recommended way at all.

Tech support can be reached at 800.4.STRAND or you can call me, Bobby Harrell, directly at 212.795.3043.

Bobby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back