Design Bar/Club Lighting

Apollo

A new bar/club just opened up in my area and I was wanting to make a pitch for designing their lighting system. So far they have a disco ball :) Does anyone have any suggestions for a small board for the 'New Bar on a Budget?"

Their stage is a pretty small space, about 12' x 8', but of course there is the rest of the venue with which to play.

Thank you.

What kind of music? What kind of acts? DJ? Band? Who will operate the lighting (could be anything from keyboardist with a foot switch to the bartender)

Ah, fun! Here I go again!

Here's what I'd recommend for a stage that size:
6 Irradiant SP PAR56 LED for back/side light, with 6 fixtures upstage, the end two doing a cross-wash of the stage with the other 4 providing the main backlight. I'd put R114 on the front of the cans (make some spring steel hoops to hold it in place, like par lamp retaining clips only they'd go on the outside of the can and hold a circle of gel in place)

4 PAR38 fixtures (with good ol' 120W lamps from Lowes) for frontlight

A Chauvet DMX-4 Dimmer pack for the PAR38s

With that kind of rig, control can be simple, either a Chauvet Stage Designer 50 if people aren't going to be rocking out on the faders alot, or an NSI MC7016 if they will be.

EDIT: This is a recommendation for a band venue. If it'll be mostly DJ sets, Martin SCX500s, Martin T-Rexes, and some Chauvet Vue or Elan fixtures. Chauvet Obey 40 for control. Chauvet Colorpalettes for color wash.

Last edited:
Before going and specifying fixtures and installation methods for a commercial (or any) building, be sure to check all applicable building, safety, and fire codes. A bar/club may meet all applicable existing codes, but as soon as it adds a "stage," in many jurisdictions a "public place of assembly" or "amusement" license (and related inspections) is/are required. For example, applicable codes may or may not require all installed equipment to carry a UL-Listing. Local codes may or may not require all electrical branch circuits to be in conduit.

When in doubt, consult a qualified professional.

I'll second the Obey 40 (or even the Obey 10). For a board that can run a reasonable number lights, do a fine job on LEDs and drive some movers (although the lack of fx functions can make it a bit tedious).

Tim.

That is all very helpful, thank you.

It will be mostly a band venue with a few other sort of small stage shows. Possibly DJ's, but that will not be the primary entertainment.

And thank you for the reminder to always check with the officials. The bar had enough trouble opening in the first place (it's a gay bar in North Texas) and does not need to give them any more reasons to try and shut it down again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back