Barco in discussions about aquisition of High End Systems by ETC

A year or so ago ETC put out a call for moving light experts and innovators. I read the notice as them looking for the next Big Thing in fixtures. Maybe they need someone that knows how to manufacture one and some tools and space to do so.
Maybe they're just really smart and know a good deal when they can make it.

Can't say I'm surprised. Irideon, LMI, Congo, Selador, and Vortek all seemed to be existing products that ETC decided to acquire and collaborate on to improve rather than cook up on their own.

Is it weird that my only real question about this is whether or not ETC will bridge the tech support gap between the two brands they've done in the past, or if they'll keep HES support a separate phone number from ETC?

Next up on the block will no doubt be Martin. Martin is owned by Harman (who also owns and destroyed soundcraft, JBL, AKG, and BSS). Harman is currently being bought by Samsung solely for their car tech. So, pretty soon both the phone in your pocket and the moving light on your truss will be Samsung. So, I forsee a fire sale of all of those brands in the near future.... and I bet they go cheap.

From inside of Harman I've heard that Samsung is actually quite interested in these offerings, even though they intend to leave them pretty independent. I'm sure nobody will actually know how this shakes out though until it does (or doesn't). Harman is a mixed bag and the advantage they claim of being one provider that can handle everything is great for the sales part of project but blows up on the support side. Their brands simply don't talk to each other, collaborate, and verify compatibility. For years I've been told this is being taken care of but I have yet to see it actualize. The whole "shareholders' against the board of directors over the merger" class action lawsuit is pretty wild though, and an extension of the idea that within Harman, the left hand doesn't know, care, or accept what the right hand is doing.

The word on the street at USITT is that things are progressing but not complete yet. Everyone seems very happy about the merger being great for both companies.

Talked to a few friends yesterday...word on the street is that it might be finalized in the next week or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back