Barcode inventory database?

mstutzman

Has anyone gotten into using barcodes on their equipment to database it? If so, what software did you use? Ive found pieces of software that would work but I havent found anything that would be edited easily enough to make it specific to what I want to do?

When i worked at a convention center we used, axcel to make our tables of equipment + barcodes and used our internet server to displa the info as web pages.

I haven't searched, but I'll bet there are free software programs available (download/use at your own risk). I found a font online that when you enter a number, it displays/prints it as bar code symbols. So it's likely you can do it for free. But it won't be very well integrated. I'm guessing inventory control software can be $$$, likely because it's not something a developer is going to sell 2 million units of.

The jargon for this is application is "asset management" software. There are gazillions of applications at various price points for doing asset management, ranging from a grow-your-won text file or OpenOffice spreadsheet to enterprise class asset tagging. Many of the bits you need could be pieced together from open-source projects. The expensive bits are printing barcode labels (or buying pre-printed labels) and getting a scanner. Most label printers come with software that supports barcoding. However, most label printers won't give you an indestructible asset tag. Thermal printers may not be useful for labeling lighting instruments. It may be better to get preprinted asset tags or stickers.

Most scanners will come with drivers that allow you to integrate them into your computer. In many cases, scanners act as a keyboard so any application where you would normally type into a field, the scanner can do the typing for you.

The thread of asset management systems using barcodes comes up every so often - and I always have to chime in and say 'What business problem are you trying to solve'. IE most ( not all) theatres are not too large, or have so many assets that an asset management system using barcodes ( or rfid's ) - along with all of the associated database tables, barcode scanners, etc probably does not make a lot of sense.

Now if we are talking a rental shop with a large inventory and equipment moving in and out of the door a lot - they could make a lot of sense.

Can you tell us a bit more about your application? Do you have a current asset management system on a computer? etc.

My high school theatre simply uses the school's bar code inventory system. Works well, although it's hardly ever used. That being said, many school districts now use bar code inventories, and if you're part of a school district I would think you could just latch on to that.

Thanks everyone. Great info.

Currently I'm looking to catalog all assets, Sound, Lights, Video, in a database that will have information on the equipment like how damaged it is, when it is do to be replaced, if it is out on rental. I currently run three spaces under one roof, so having information about what space it belongs in would be useful. I have systems for most of this but having all the information in one place and the ability to look it up would be great.

I realize a database would be useful in itself, and a low tech way of cataloging would be just to assign equipment a number but bar coding would be easier.

I've been looking at Tracmor (Tracmor :: Open Source Inventory and Asset Tracking Online) for this type of application. It's set up more for warehouse management, but it includes the ability to add custom fields, and track assets and inventory based on location. You can also attach files to individual records, or types. As sk8rsdad said, most barcode scanners will input text in a field for you, so you can use that to enter in asset ids into the system. You'd just need to figure out what you want to do for asset tags. I can't say I have the system in place yet as time hasn't been available, but we're hoping to eventually keep better tabs on repair and maintenance of equipment, as well as location. I work for a church that is planning to move towards multiple campuses, and we've also been partnering with neighboring churches to share resources. So having the ability to keep track of where things are moving and who is moving them is appealing.

Tracmor has a hosted option (monthly fee), but the software itself is open source. If you have a webserver of your own and a bit of patience, you can run it yourself for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back