Barrels

headoned

Just wondering how possible it is to get hold of barrels for use in a play that can be climbed in and out of by the cast (without them falling over!)
can i use normal old beer barrels with sandbags at the bottom?

Weights in the bottom, or put them on a piece of plywood that is slightly larger diameter than the barrel itself. Barrels are pretty darn stable as is.

i have been thinking on the lines of resorting to using cardboard painted in the style of barrels as i fear they may be costly to attain

i have been thinking on the lines of resorting to using cardboard painted in the style of barrels as i fear they may be costly to attain

Are you talking about wooden barrels? Is a straight barrel acceptable to you - or do you need it with a greater diameter in the middle?

Doing a double taper is a real pain - but if a straight barrel is acceptable - you can make it fairly easily. Just remember the formula for cutting the angles on the table saw. Angle = 360/(number of staves x 2). This works for straight and tapered staves. It is how I make wooden planters.

he's in the UK ... He's have to travel to the Highlands to find a whiskey barrel , but there are plenty of breweries in England to buy an ale barrel from.

Ah ! I fogot to check the Location! Here in Oregon most of our Barrels wind up in the UK after making great Oregon Wines, they ship to Scotland and Make Great Single Malt Scotch. I'd think whiskey barrels would be a dime a dozen in the UK.

I'm in an area with a bunch of wineries, the Woodinville Tourist/Wine District in Seattle travel advertising. Parent connections have gotten some used barrels, which carry a very strong odor, for stage appearances.

For one of our shows we used large diameter sonotube (think 30" diameter). We got a 12' length of it for $300. Suspended it on a small truck unit and had a bunch of very large actors climb out of it via a trap in the stage. Rim the top in sliced pool noodle and cover in painted burlap and some manila rope. Looked great and read really well.

Last edited:
iv been thinking either using some form of cheapish plastic to make a tube then bend cardboard around to make it look like a barrel. it needs to be as simple as this because my budget in US currency would be under 50 dollars

iv been thinking either using some form of cheapish plastic to make a tube then bend cardboard around to make it look like a barrel. it needs to be as simple as this because my budget in US currency would be under 50 dollars

Egads ! that like 20 quid mate !

< That's my attempt at colloquialism>

Cardboard tube slice to within a couple of inches top and bottom every 2 inches, Squish it from the top then run several 2" wide bands around the interior surface to hold the "staves" in place. The Paper Mach' the heck out of the exterior?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back