Basic Personal Kits/ What Every Tech Should Have

Derek, how do you feel about flush-cutting diagonal cutting pliers?

If local hands started zip tying my cables up instead of using e-tape I think I'd murder someone come load out.....

To me, zip ties have always been a semi-permanent/permanent type of binder.

On the subject of flashlights, check the bargain bin at your local Home Depot. Last summer, I bought a 15 pack of LED flashlights, with batteries included, for $15 as loaner lights for the Pageant crew. I got one out of fifteen back, but at a dollar per light, I really didn't care that much. Last week, I purchased an 8 pack of cheap lights out of the bargain bin, again with batteries included, for $7. These will become part of my loaner stock this summer.

On the subject of flashlights, check the bargain bin at your local Home Depot. Last summer, I bought a 15 pack of LED flashlights, with batteries included, for $15 as loaner lights for the Pageant crew. I got one out of fifteen back, but at a dollar per light, I really didn't care that much. Last week, I purchased an 8 pack of cheap lights out of the bargain bin, again with batteries included, for $7. These will become part of my loaner stock this summer.
'

Exactly!!! And they usually use AA or AAA batteries!

First, I recommend each person buy their own stuff. They will care for it more and will also be able to choose what works for them best. Plus, they'll get to take it with them for future work.

I recommend carrying:

1. Maglite AA LED or similar flashlight (a couple wraps of e-tape near the battery cap make it easier to clench the thing in your teeth).

2. Combo Screwdriver (T-handle option is nice for extra leverage)

3. 8" Crescent wrench w/ tool lanyard

4. 8" Needle-nose pliers

5. Folding knife of choice (razor blade or "normal")

6. Light leather gloves (I'm partial to SetWear's Pro Leather series, but the goatskin gloves at hardware stores are good, too).

7. Ear Plugs (Foamies are fine)

If they need anything other than these things, they need a change in their title and pay. Oh, and cell phones and wallets get left backstage.

Last edited:
Why do you use E-tape? No tie line?

Tie line is very time consuming. I can tie a cable to a pipe so much more quickly with a roll, throw it around and boom your in business. For shorter runs, its all I use. You can get a lot of it for not a ton of money, and its more idiot proof than tie line. Obviously, when tied right, tie line is perfectly useable. But when I have 10 students who are still confused as to what end the light comes out of trying to tie up cables, saying wrap with the sticky side on the inside is much easier.

Tie line is very time consuming. I can tie a cable to a pipe so much more quickly with a roll, throw it around and boom your in business. For shorter runs, its all I use. You can get a lot of it for not a ton of money, and its more idiot proof than tie line. Obviously, when tied right, tie line is perfectly useable. But when I have 10 students who are still confused as to what end the light comes out of trying to tie up cables, saying wrap with the sticky side on the inside is much easier.

But now you have cables and battens that get sticky as well, don't you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back