Basics of Backstage etiquette

We have a pic of Rollins with that copy hanging in our booth.
The Goodman light shop has this quote hanging on their door in the backstage crossover. It was the first time I ever saw it, and loved it since. Not enough people know that quote.

Other rules that I like:
- No one is above sweeping/mopping the stage.
- RE: Crew Duties: No one is done until everyone is done (old summer stock rule for our interns).
- If you only think you know how a tool, light, or whosy-whatsit works, you need to ask.
- Equipment is replaceable. You are not. Safety first.

Last edited:
Why is it Upstage and Downstage? Everyone should know this. It goes back to the days of earlier theatre when seating was all on a flat plan and to enable all the audience to see the action onstage the stage was Raked or tilted up at the back of the house. therefore when you walked to the back of the stage you were literally walking UP stage. This is also where the term "Upstaging" comes from though it originally meant planting yourself further upstage from an area of action in order to tract more attention from the star.

Younar correct that uostage was once up the rake, but not correct on the reasoning ( at least not according to the theatre history I learned).

In the renaissance they discovered how perspective worked. Part of the trick of using forced perspective scenery make the stage appear deeper was to have the stage raked ( and to have the wing and border scenery get smaller as you moved upstage). The renaissance theatres that I am familiar with did not have all of the audience on a flat floor. Most of them had an orchestra, frequently gently raked, with a ring of box seats. The box set dead center of the house, at the perfect height to get the full effect of the forced perspective was known as the King’s box ( or the Queen’s box depending on the monarchs sex )

Younar correct that uostage was once up the rake, but not correct on the reasoning ( at least not according to the theatre history I learned).

In the renaissance they discovered how perspective worked. Part of the trick of using forced perspective scenery make the stage appear deeper was to have the stage raked ( and to have the wing and border scenery get smaller as you moved upstage). The renaissance theatres that I am familiar with did not have all of the audience on a flat floor. Most of them had an orchestra, frequently gently raked, with a ring of box seats. The box set dead center of the house, at the perfect height to get the full effect of the forced perspective was known as the King’s box ( or the Queen’s box depending on the monarch's sex )
@JChenault This devout NON ACTOR believes "up staging" was also a term used when actors walked U/S during scenes where they had dialogue with others of their cast forcing their cohorts to turn U/S to face them while speaking which left them with their backs to the paying patrons.
I understand this was a common / spiteful trick employed by certain actors to focus attention on themselves at the expense of their mates.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

In the renaissance they discovered how perspective worked. Part of the trick of using forced perspective scenery make the stage appear deeper was to have the stage raked ( and to have the wing and border scenery get smaller as you moved upstage). The renaissance theatres that I am familiar with did not have all of the audience on a flat floor. Most of them had an orchestra, frequently gently raked, with a ring of box seats. The box set dead center of the house, at the perfect height to get the full effect of the forced perspective was known as the King’s box ( or the Queen’s box depending on the monarchs sex )
I agree with Van and believe it pre-dated the renaissance and pre-dated the development of forced perspective. Pre-dated Greek theatre I believe.

Cool we have a dispute.

I am not at home ( and near my theatre history books ) but will take a look when I get back.

Interesting question

Fight! Fight! Fight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back