Battery powered LED strip

Orph

Need to power an LED strip (1inch wide 16ft long - consumer grade) on a wagon that moves around stage. So it needs a battery of some sort. But I'm not really sure what kind or how to wire it exactly.

Searched the forums and didn't really find anything that I could apply here.

The strip runs off a 12v/5a output power brick.

Nothing to wire. Just attach a 12v battery into your controller. This is the latest battery that I am using for our costumes. I don't know the length of time as our act is only 4 mins long. If you need more juice then you should look into a car battery which then there would be some small wiring.

Nothing to wire. Just attach a 12v battery into your controller. This is the latest battery that I am using for our costumes. I don't know the length of time as our act is only 4 mins long. If you need more juice then you should look into a car battery which then there would be some small wiring.
Yep, looking for something like that. Was hoping for something a little cheaper. But that will do for convenience and ease.

Thanks!

For 12v applications I am a real big fan of Sealed lead acid or gel cell that are used in UPS systems or scooters. they are rechargeable and they have great mahs ratings and they are much lighter than Car batteries. You may know this but I try to never assume, just because the brick is rated 12v5a does not mean that is what the LED strip is eating up. LEDs are notorious consumers of voltage but amperage can vary widely. I once left a single led on two AA batteries for 2 years! it didn't significantly dim until a year and 2 months in.
If you can calculate the consumption you will know exactly what size battery you will need for a given time period.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/sla-sealed-lead-acid/duracell-ultra/12

For 12v applications I am a real big fan of Sealed lead acid or gel cell that are used in UPS systems or scooters. they are rechargeable and they have great mahs ratings and they are much lighter than Car batteries. You may know this but I try to never assume, just because the brick is rated 12v5a does not mean that is what the LED strip is eating up. LEDs are notorious consumers of voltage but amperage can vary widely. I once left a single led on two AA batteries for 2 years! it didn't significantly dim until a year and 2 months in.
If you can calculate the consumption you will know exactly what size battery you will need for a given time period.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/sla-sealed-lead-acid/duracell-ultra/12
Thanks... it's a safe assumption, as I don't know much of anything when it comes to batteries and electrical calculations. For that matter, I'm still trying to figure out the acronym UPS.
Thanks for your ideas and input.

Yep, looking for something like that. Was hoping for something a little cheaper. But that will do for convenience and ease.

Thanks!

I'm sure you can find them cheaper. Just look for something with a lower MAH. It just depends on how long you will need it on for.

Lead and gel cells do work well as well.

Need to power an LED strip (1inch wide 16ft long - consumer grade) on a wagon that moves around stage. So it needs a battery of some sort. But I'm not really sure what kind or how to wire it exactly.

Searched the forums and didn't really find anything that I could apply here.

The strip runs off a 12v/5a output power brick.
You ought to be able to source something in a deep cycle rechargeable battery from a power-chair supplier.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Thanks... it's a safe assumption, as I don't know much of anything when it comes to batteries and electrical calculations. For that matter, I'm still trying to figure out the acronym UPS.
Uninterruptible Power Supply, Like for a computer those sealed lead acid are ubiquitous now days.

Maybe we should ask; what type consumer grade led strip. Do you mean the adhesive backed single or multi color? most of those, when sold have a wattage or amperage rating per foot or total. is there a controller involved or are you simply going straight from the battery to a switch then to the leds?

UPS = Uninterruptable Power Supply.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

There's his handy feature, a dotted yellow line comes up under words some times, that when you click on it will take you to the relevant wiki page where helpful people have spent their time explaining and defining these terms...

Thanks all around.

Didn't realize the yellow underlines linked to wiki info. That's a big help.

I know of those SLA batteries, but unsure of how to connect them to the LED strip.

The strips are the common sort you find on Amazon, LEDS set in clear rubber with adhesive on the back. They come with a remote for selecting different colors and simple flash sequences.

Couldn't find an amperage/ft listing, just a 2a per color (6 total).

Thanks all around.

Didn't realize the yellow underlines linked to wiki info. That's a big help.

I know of those SLA batteries, but unsure of how to connect them to the LED strip.

The strips are the common sort you find on Amazon, LEDS set in clear rubber with adhesive on the back. They come with a remote for selecting different colors and simple flash sequences.

Couldn't find an amperage/ft listing, just a 2a per color (6 total).
Oh, Those, Yeah, easy set up. I mean typically they have a modular power input with a positive tip, you can pick those up at Radio shack or Order them from digikey. then there is a green plug with screw lugs on the other side for running out to the strip. The inputs on the end of the strip should be labelled. +,R,G,B some are -,R,G,B match the symbols on the controller Or is there another issue I'm not picking up on?

And note that the full charge voltage of an SLA/AGP battery can get up to 13.4VDC, if not higher; you'll want to test whether that's a problem for your strips. May be the load is high enough to yank it right on down.

Here's my thought: You could buy a 9-12VDC step up transformer, and use a 9v battery to power it. This could work depending on how long the cart stays on stage.

Here's my thought: You could buy a 9-12VDC step up transformer, and use a 9v battery to power it. This could work depending on how long the cart stays on stage.
Transformers don't normally operate from DC sources. Transformers are AC devices dependent upon the rising and collapsing magnetic fields to generate an output in their secondaries. Granted, old-style automotive ignition coils operated on DC but they didn't produce a continuous output, merely a tiny pulse when their fields built up and a very much higher voltage spiked output when their fields collapsed as they collapsed much faster than they built up.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Transformers don't normally operate from DC sources. Transformers are AC devices dependent upon the rising and collapsing magnetic fields to generate an output in their secondaries. Granted, old-style automotive ignition coils operated on DC but they didn't produce a continuous output, merely a tiny pulse when their fields built up and a very much higher voltage spiked output when their fields collapsed as they collapsed much faster than they built up.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
Thanks for that, I may have just used the wrong term, but I've always called something designed to change current and/or change voltage a transformer. I guess if you look up "voltage step-up module" you might find what I was talking about.

12V LED Strip. Constant Voltage or Constant Amperage. It's important to know which. QTY 2 9V batteries and a couple of current limiting resistors and a small voltage regulator ($5 in material) and do what you need for many many days.

Even Walmart sells "Car Kits" with a "push me" button installed already for show room demonstration that may fit your needs. If it does, then you are only looking at a couple of extra batteries.

Yup. That's what I was looking for, @Chris15 . Just couldn't put my finger on it.

Another possibility (involving the DC-DC converter) would be to get a 5-12v converter, and use one of those USB batteries. That could work nicely if you need the cart on stage for a lot of time. And then you walk out with a USB power bank at the end of the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back