Battery powered RGB LED DMX light?

Hey guys. I want to build a battery powered RGB DMX light. It's sort of a strange application, but I want to be able to control the light from the light board and really don't want to plug it into the wall for safety reasons. I need to be able to control color from the board. Does this sound like something anyone has done, knows anything about how to do, or has seen?

Or you could look at the Elation Event Panel. You would have to provide your own wireless data setup or use the included IR remote. I believe that Doug Fleenor also makes a battery pack for some LEDs.

Quick question: What are the concerns with plugging the fixture into line power?

The question that needs to be asked is how much brightness does the fixture have to provide. There are a number of fixtures available featuring both battery and wireless DMX operation.

One of the small ones is the DL75 which measures about 4 x 4 x 2"

proxy.php

To a high output fixture like the PS500 measuring 12 x 6 x 3"

proxy.php

Commercial LED light, battery and inverter, wireless DMX? Just been done on a production of Miss Saigon here - the Moulin Rouge truck had LED cans in it - and worked perfectly.

Why do you need to battery control it, I see no need, if you don't want to run lead, you would still have to take it down to charge it. And if it's for environmental reasons, why not point out that getting batteries is less governmentally friendly than plugging it in. If getting power there is an issue, its heaps cheaper to buy lead than these LED's.
Nick

I have built a number of them, using Northlight DMX products PWM dimmer boards, a Chauvet DMX wireless and LEDs. used in a street lamp, that was used "The lion, the witch and the wardrobe" and "My Fair Lady". used for space ship and many more moving wagons or fixtures where we didn't want cabling.
Let me point out, that all of ours have been "practicals" that had to move easily from one side of the stage to the other or had to be spiked in a hurray. For anything fixed, Id drop the wireless DMX and go with a cable.

Why do you need to battery control it, I see no need, if you don't want to run lead, you would still have to take it down to charge it. And if it's for environmental reasons, why not point out that getting batteries is less governmentally friendly than plugging it in. If getting power there is an issue, its heaps cheaper to buy lead than these LED's.
Nick

How can you say that you see no need for this, we don't know what the application is. I can think of many applications where one might want a battery powered fixture with wireless data. I use battery powered lamps with wireless data all the time. Also, if there was no need for this, then manufacturers wouldn't have so many such devices on the market. I have never found it to be a hassle to charge batteries, however you have to make sure that you have spare batteries available for when you forget to charge the device.

If this rig has to go in a moving set piece, it may be impossible for the piece to drag cables. Dragging cables can be a hazard to cast members on stage or impede the movement of other scenery.

As far as environmental friendliness, use of rechargeable batteries is the least of your worries in theatre. Just consider how many people just throw lamps in the regular garbage, or all the lumber and steel that gets purchased and then tossed after the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back