Beauty and the Beast rose

Lasermike

Just wanted to share the rose our props guy and I built for our production of Beauty and the Beast.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Michael

IMG_8482.JPG
IMG_8481.JPG
IMG_8460.JPG

Thank you.
The green parts were printed on my Anet A8, a cheap Chinese clone of the Prusa i3. It works but it's not the fastest nor most accurate. I've since stepped up to the Bambu Lab X1C. It's so fancy it's bells have whistles. I only designed and made the mechanics, our props guy mounted it in the cloche and added all of the trim along with making it look like an actual rose. I have skills but they stop at making things look good. Everything was designed in Tinkercad, I've tried fancier programs but just can't get them to bend to my will.

The servos use cams to pull on jewelry wire that runs up the stem. At the top, the wire is connected to small magnets with adhesive lined heat shrink tubing. A ball point pen spring resets the magnet. A small washer in each petal holds the petal to the magnet until the magnet is pulled into the rose bud. The brass tube acts as a fairlead, the servos didn't have enough power to reliably pull the magnet down against the drag of the sharp turn into the aluminum stem.

Michael

What servos did you sue? I had trouble with servo noise making inadvertent drops. Then again, it could also be my (lack of) arduino programming skills.

Tiny little SG90 servos. I used an 8 channel twin stick RC remote. One servo controlled by a stick’s up/down or left/right movement. That let me control 4 servos independently. The lights were powered by a on/off led controller plugged into a channel controlled by a toggle switch on the transmitter.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back