Beauty Beast Transformation in VERY limited setting

HSSmusic

Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice on performing the transformation in an extremely limited setting.
Short Version: probably no fog allowed, no smoke allowed, lights can never be turned completely off, no body double, no flying, no trap doors.

Longer Version:
We're a small school doing a Jr. version with some really talented kids. We usually go all out for them. :)

Our original intention was to smoke/fog like crazy as we've seen on about 1 million youtube videos.
But when the fire marshall came in for a test run, we discovered that we either have no ventilation system in our performance space or the system isn't working. The smoke cloud hung in the air for about 45 minutes. Had we used as much smoke as we would need in an actual show, we would have triggered the alarm and choked the audience.

I spoke with someone about dry ice fogging, but he said the beast can't lie in it for the 30 second transformation because it is too toxic.

We do have room to kill the beast upstage and set foggers downstage, which would obscure audience view but separate the beast from the fog by about 15 feet. Is that workable? I don't know much about dry ice toxicity.

He can die on the stage or 8 inches off the floor, but the higher platforms on our set aren't visible enough to stage the death there.
We have no trap door capabilities.

Lighting effects are also severely limited. We are in a giant gymnasium with a large stage. At the second-story level there are turquoise glass block windows. They cannot be covered by anything except fireproof curtains per local law. So even though we can paper all the windows and doors at ground level, we can never truly go dark (2 out of 4 performances are daytime shows). We hire out for lighting (no existing setup) and he is willing to do whatever we need/want, so any suggestions for him are appreciated.

We do not have access to a lot of other students the same size and build of the Beast who could believably be his body double. For that matter, without smoke/fog/dark/trapdoor, I don't know how we would switch them even if we could bribe one of his friends to do it.

In addition, because we are a Junior version, we are locked into a soundtrack which gives us something like 30 seconds to do this (although I can probably extend that with Audacity).

The one bright spot thus far (aside from the talented kids) is the beast actor's ability to remove most of his costume while lying under a cloak and barely appearing to move.

The entire show process has been extremely frustrating because I feel like we have been unable to do anything that others have successfully done (in regard to costumes, scheduling, props, everything!). We are having to re-invent the wheel at every possible turn and it is such tremendous drain on time and resources.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Are you talking about the transformation at the top from the Prince to the Beast or the transformation at the end from the Beast to the prince?

If the smoke hung in the air that long but you want to stick with that type of effect, then you need to change fog formulas to a quick dissapating formula like this (not a product endorsement, just an example). The reason that the dry ice fogger is a problem is that the carbon dioxide displaces the breathable air which will cause asphyxiation in the actor lying down in it.

Thanks very much, I will try that. We've also got a parent calling some local HVAC companies this week so we can find out what, if any, ventilation we actually have to help suck it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
some times the best solutions are the most simple. Have you considered simple misdirection? many of theaters best illusions are just parlour tricks of misdirection.

I am not sure how the Jr. version varies from the full version, but when when we did the full version two years ago at my high school we had the Beast getting out of makeup right after "If I Can't Love Her" At the same time, we had an ensemble member getting into the beast makeup. When it came time for the attack on the castle, the real Beast/Prince was able to speak his lines into an offstage mic while our fake beast acted them out on stage. Then for the transformation the fake Beast died in front of a large double door. Then he jerked up, the doors swung open, the doorway filled with fog and the fake Beast and the real prince switched places under cover of fog. And we had an elevator to give the appearance that the transformed beast was like flying up. Now I know you mentioned not being able to use fog, but maybe there is a way you could do something similar using the lighting (maybe use the lights to essentially blind people as others mentioned above).
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I'll confess that I'm not familiar with the needs of the stage version, so some of the following may not apply...

I've done several version of the 'Nutcracker' where the switch from toy to prince was accomplished by the prince entering stage behind Drosselmyer's spread cape, with D revealing the prince in the same whirl that he uses to hide the toy nutcracker under the cape. Something similar could be done here, with a Prince entering hidden behind the Beast's cape - Beast downstage, a handoff of the cape during a whirl, with the prince ending up downstage of the cape, perhaps then letting the cape fall to the floor to cover the Beast actor's body. You mentioned an 8" platform of sorts - if the Beast ended up behind that, that would cover 8" of his body while laying down, a good start at suspension of disbelief. This could be combined with the lighting mentioned above.

The downsides would include your Beast not getting to be the Prince, the Beast actor probably having to lay hidden for the rest of the show, and having to add another boy as the Prince (or as a replacement for whoever was promoted to Prince). The size difference isn't necessarily a problem, in fact might add something to the conversion effect.

Another thought might be to use something else to distract from and cover the switch, such as a confetti burst. A big enough cloud would block sight for a few moments, and the launch could distract the audiences attention at the crucial moment. A double kabuki would be an option if you have overhead rigging capabilities, dropping a 'magic cloud' painted curtain in front of the switch, which is then dropped on down to the floor (or flown out).

A script-based option might be to forego the magical instant change, and add some sort of chorus vamp or reprise to cover the change, possibly including the chorus itself physically onstage to cover the switch or costume alteration.

Really the key is to give the audience a lot of things to focus on for a short period so they don't focus on the actor changing costumes.
I'm not sure what you have available in the way of performers onstage or latitude in their blocking, but something that I've had success with when atmospheric effects (fog,haze etc.) wasn't an option is simply using fabric.
For a situation like this, you could try getting a few lengths of light fabric (light in weight and colour) and lay them SL-SR on the deck downstage of the Beast. Put a performer at each end of each length and get them to lift the fabric to varying heights and (not in unison) rapidly wave it so it ripples and billows. If you play with it enough, the moving fabric should block the audienc's view upstage while the performer does his transformation. To distract the Audience even more (and because it looks awesome), try hitting the fabric with a strobe light or lighting it from a low angle (footlights or shins) from the front or sides.
Whatever ends up working, Break a leg!

Just a thought. Build a turntable in a wall and place 2 identical chairs on it. Surround the chair with white light as crowd blinders. Beast dies and falls into the chair dead... blinding lights come on and the turntable is rotated, by stage hands, 180 deg with the prince now in place, and beast back stage.

It's been forever, but I wanted to come back and say "thanks" for the help and post what we did in case it might help someone else.

We first worked on the low-tech aspects of the transformation. Beast staggered and collapsed on his side, back to the audience, and Belle took off her cloak and covered him like one would cover a child with a blanket.

We had attached fur in patches on the outside of the beast's pants to look as though the pants were ripped and fur was sticking out. As Belle cried/sang the little tag of "Home", she knelt close to him and very slowly pulled the fur patches off his legs. As she did this, the beast slowly removed his beast gloves underneath the cloak. Both actors did this with minimal movement so the focus would remain on the song.

That just left the removal of the mask/wig.

We managed to find a more powerful Antari that could pump out big blasts of smoke very quickly. We used Froggy's Fog as recommended by Ruinexplorer, because it dissipated before a huge cloud could float up and trigger the fire alarm. Even so, we couldn't run it for long, but we figured out we only needed 10 seconds.

So during "Home" the fur got ripped off, the beasty gloves removed, and on a particular note we started the fog. Within those 10 foggy seconds, the beast stood up and ripped off mask and wig, lights flashing. He tossed it to the ground and stepped through the cloud to the edge of the stage as the prince. While all eyes were on the man emerging from the fog, Belle grabbed the mask/wig/cloak and shoved it under a set piece to hide it. He still had his disheveled Beast clothes on, but we were more than happy to make that compromise because the rest of the transformation worked. He came back in full Princely garb during the finale. :)

Initially we felt so pressured by the mere 30 seconds the junior soundtrack gave us to accomplish this, but in the end that meant we only had to fool people for a brief time.

All in all, we were really happy that we were able to do it reasonably well in such a ridiculously restrictive setting. Thanks so much to all the great people on this board who offered advice!

Thank you for coming back with your results. It's always a pleasure to find out what happened with all of the suggestions that have been made. Glad that it worked out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back