Beckett's collapsing tree

jonh

Has anybody out there ever built the collapsing tree from Beckett's Act without words? I am trying to find an easy, low tech way of building a tree that is able to move onto the stage on wheels, and then lower and raise its branches. I am working in a completely open plan theatre with no flies or curtains although I will have some flats to hide a few things. Any suggestions how I could do this? All ideas welcome, I am running out of them. Cheers, Jon.

You know those tent poles that are held together with elastic cord?
proxy.php

Tent Pole Replacement Kits at BizRate

Something along that method perhaps? Release tension and the branches droop. Just a thought.

Has potential although I might have to make the elastic bit myself, tent poles are not so easy to come by here. Thanks. Jon.

I built something similar last year for a small "dying" birch tree. Iended up making it from a discarded office fake plant with the plastic leaves. For some reason the wood parts were very light and strong for their size. I was able to slice varied size sections 2" to 4" apart at different angles and had room to recess the bottom sides to fit small hinges. When I had my shape I carefully drilled adjoining sections using a long (1 foot) drill. I then passed 1/4 airline cable through it and built a cheap hinged handle at the base from a junk bike handle. A screw tensioner on the cable allowed me to adjust the cable tension and velcro garage tool hanger strap held it up. I was able with practice both to slowly let it droop and also it had the strength to bring it back up. Ours was also wrapped in an old string of Xmas lites and then stretch nylon to make the bark look like birch and mask the light string. It was quite a bit of work for that few minutes on stage,but it did acheive the wanted effect and was really cheap. make sure you pull the fake wire leaves out before drilling though.that wire is really hard on the bits.

James, That is a Great Idea ! Good Post!
Just like one of those goofy little toys where you push in the bottom plate and the figure on the block collapses.

We've used bicycle inner tubes with the valves removed to get this sort of effect. They can be cut and spliced into various shapes and it's easy to come by fittings for them.

...Just like one of those goofy little toys where you push in the bottom plate and the figure on the block collapses.
What are these things called? I couldn't find them on the Interweb at all.:(

What are these things called? I couldn't find them on the Interweb at all.:(

I don't know that's why I called them;
" Those Goofy little toys where you push in the bottom plate ....."

:twisted:

not sure what your budget is, but I think some hydraulic cylinders within the tree might look pretty cool.

They'd give you cool effects, depending on your level of experience with programming automations and such.

Thanks for all the ideas, I can only dream about the hydraulic jacks and pneumatic bits for the moment (budget? what budget?) but I will definitely look into some of the lower tech ideas. At the moment I may use a combination of lighting - for the leaves, and a pulley and rope system for the branch, although I am interested in the bungy cord tent pole idea. Hopefully if I keep it simple it will work.... Jon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back