beginner lighting tech tips needed!

yep yep, that's great advice!

(dont worry about the "only do lighting for my school" from what i can tell, that is exactly what most people arround here do, I know it's basicly what I do! (although i run sound too)

oh ya, by the way, Welcome to the forums! Please feel free to look arround and post in other forums too!

Thanks ^^

I do sound as well, and next year I'll be stage manager too, don't ask me how I'll do all three but somehow it shall be done lol

great, sounds like I'm going to have tons of fun next year lol

I agree with Matt, who I work with at my school and that it is VERY easy to get carried away and write many different cues and try to get really advanced, but I would suggest that you don't use many fixtures in your cues to just keep it simple.

Adam

I agree with all that above and subtle light changes can make a big difference. Also whenever you switch cues, unless theres a good reason for it, make sure that there is a fad so its not like this huge flash or drop in light going from scene to scene. We're used no fade before but only in a time when the scene had a ton of action and it was uses to kinda make things confusing cuase the light changed every few seconds. Other than that we always use a 3 sec fade in and fade our if its going to / coming up from black and normally a 1.5 - 3.0 sec fade if we're going between cues.

~Nick

Really, the only acceptation to this rule is if it is a musical and you want to "bump" the end note either up to a higher intensity with a special on the lead or into a black out (though often it takes the instruments about half a second to turn off anyway).

In general, for a drama, there is really no need to bump things on and off, unless going for a specific effect.

But, then again, the first rule in theater lighting is that there are no rules, just suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back