Beginning in Lightwright

Rosco

Hello, so currently my computer is not being Vectorworks 2012 friendly. However, I am a student and I have assignments that I am unable to do, one of which is to replicate a plot from a list of information. I can barrow my friends laptop, but I want to save time.

What I am asking is if it is possible, to start from Lightwright, plug-in all the data, and then import to vectorworks(assuming I at least create the lighting positions in Vectorworks first) to on time I would have to borrow my friends laptop.

Is this possible/a quick way to spend less time in vectorworks?

I think this is possible HOWEVER lightwright won't contain x/y data to know where in the drawing to draft it. But I think with the automated exchange on it will throw the fixture symbols onto the position. However I would suggest that you draft in vectorworks first then put in the correct unit numbers, but then use lightwright to put in channel, dimmer, color, gobo information. But I would heed to more experienced lightweight users on this.

Lightwright cannot generate X, Y, Z (Well, it can but it's essentially useless trying to visualize in a spreadsheet) as well as the symbol name or the VW Unique ID. Thus you get a big bunch of rectangles and you then have to look at each and every rectangle in the Object Information Browser to determine which one is "1 Electric, 22, S4 36, 750", etc...

Then you need to match to a symbol, and place it. Then convert to Instruments.

PITA and much slower then working in VW first, sorry for the bad news.

Last edited:
ok, thank you guys for the info. Good to know the limitations of the program. Still love it though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back