Behringer LIGHTING Company?

Les

Has anyone seen any of the new lighting products by Behringer?
I've seen a 12/24 ch DMX/Analog board that accepts a memory card and
has tons of cool features for under $200. They also have a 6x1,000 watt Dimmer Pack for ~$250.00, and a diecast parcan similar to the American Dj Opti-Par, or even the ETC Source Four Par for around $79. I'm sure it doesn't amount to a S-4 par, but it seems like they have some solid equipment for reasonable prices.

Heard of them, some good and some bad on other forums - I think at least Lighting Network or Stagecraft. Long debates about their cloan/swiped design gear plus some that is unique as I remember, but I don't have a link. Got one?

I have never heard of any good lighting products from them but I have heard that got some good sound mixers and speakers.

I have tried one of their lighting desks, forget what it was called but to be brutally honest, it was a piece of S&^* lol.... wasnt worth the time.

They have targeted it at a club sort of environment, but for what its worth u may aswell spend a few extra bucks and get something that is half decent.

As I see it, sound companies should stick to sound, and lighting to lighting. Makes for much better products ;)

Behringer is low-priced, entry-level gear - most of it designed in Germany and manufactured in China. Generally a lot of features for the price, but the quality control is very much in line with the low price. Both the sound and lighting gear they manufacture is aimed at kids just getting started in a band or as a DJ, doing birthday parties on a very tight budget. In that market, it's generally a pretty good deal. There is no way I'd classify it as "pro" gear, though.

John

DMXtools said:
Behringer is low-priced, entry-level gear - most of it designed in Germany and manufactured in China. Generally a lot of features for the price, but the quality control is very much in line with the low price. Both the sound and lighting gear they manufacture is aimed at kids just getting started in a band or as a DJ, doing birthday parties on a very tight budget. In that market, it's generally a pretty good deal. There is no way I'd classify it as "pro" gear, though.

John
I dont think the term "Designed" belongs in the same post as Behringer. Their Par is a stolen S4 Par... except with a horrible reflector and its made of very low quality cast metal. Cant say anything from personal experience about their console, but I'm willing to bet that you'll find they cloned it from someone else and if you pay a little bit more, you can get the original. While it would be nice to outfit a theatres par stock for $79 an instrument, like much of the other Behringer products... buyer beware.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of reflector do these "optical Parcans" have? They always brag about their specially designed reflectors, but never tell whether they are of the specular, parabloic, or ellipsoidal family.

I was going to demo the lighting desk that Behringer produce but was then told that there would be a wait on the demo. In the meantime I spoke to a friend of mine who is a lighting/electronics tech. His comments echoed the comments made by DMXtools, in that the products that he had worked on were not well constructed and aimed at the lower end of the market.
I have still not had the opportunity to demo the desk, but I think that I will still do this and I'll let you know what I think. Although, I will not be buying one!

I think the bottom line is, buy what you can afford. If you can afford more expensive equipment with better warranties, then get it. If all you can do is buy the least expensive equipment and get started, then it is what it is, entry level gear. Be prepared to meet difficulties with service or warranties. Sometimes it is better to replace it outright.
I do not personally buy this level of gear for my friends systems, but look for slightly higher level stuff. Use the Beringher gear to get started and get some gigs, but replace it as you move up. This is what the "pros" do. They buy the best they can to do the job, then re-invest. They will never speak highly of this level of gear, mainly because they had more money or forgot where they came from.
First thing is - get the job and make a profit.

Great point Robert. One that we often forget. I know that I have sold a lot of entry level gear once it has paid for itself and I have the cash to pay for something better.

Hmmm - the building of empires!

Hi everyone. I'm new here, but I would have to agree. Buy what you can afford. I've installed and still use some Behringer Sound Products, and EVERY-ONE of them is a ripoff of MACKIE, YAMAHA, or some other board or speaker. Bottom line _ GET EXTENDED WARANTIES! It may function and look/work great, but Its whats on the INSIDE that Counts!!!

:D Thanks

Ive always suspected that the behringer MX range of mixers 12-24 channel models are a rip of the phonic mixers. they look almost identical....

can anyone confirm this?

Prime Example - go to Mackie.com and look and the wiring schematics for the 1604VLZ-pro, amazing mixer by the way, and then go to behringer.com and look at the wiring schematics for the UB2442FX-pro. They look almost identical! It's the craftsmanship that makes the Mackie differance!!! :D :USA:

that makes em bad? lol

I have a behringer desk that i hire out to bands and hackers... but for real stuff i like Allen and Heath gear.... never been a good fan of mackie, cept their powerd speakers (RCF's).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back