Behringer Ultrapar UP1000 Observations

Les

I read the thread on the Ultrapar and it got me curious as to what the fixture was actually like. Today, I was up at Crossroads Audio in Dallas Tx, and saw an Ultrapar in an open box. It didn't have a lamp, so I wasn't able to actually plug it in and observe the beam characteristics, but I was able to look in to some the questions raised about the fixture itself.
Starting with the yoke, the knob on the side is infact, a locking disc brake. It appeared to hold the fixture in position pretty firmly. The phillips bolts holding the entire assembly on were alittle small, but I don't think it would cause any problems unless they stripped out. They appeared to be about 3/4" long. The lens assembly looked alot like a Source Four par or the American DJ Counterpart "Opti-Par". The fixture didn't have any lenses with it, but they appeared to just snap in. I'm not sure if the lenses go in convex (like an Opti-Par) or concave, like a Source Four Par. Rotation was also possible. The fixture was also equipped with a safety screen with about 1"x1" mesh mounted in the fixture infront of the reflector. I would hope that it mounted behind the lens (to make changing lenses easier, but i'm not sure if that's the case. I don't know what good it would do behind the lens, because with such big holes in the mesh, it would not be very likely to contain an exploded lamp. I'm not sure how this screen is removed. I'm assuming its a real pain... Especially if it's to be taken out to replace lenses. The reflector seemed good. Better than the smooth version of an Opti-Par, and more similar to a Source Four Par. The only difference I noted was the fact that the facets seemed wider and more pronounced. Very "Ellipsoidal-Like" but with no circular pattern to the mirrors. Only strips going from the center to the outside. In general, the reflector looked nice.
The pig tail on the fixture seemed OK. It was a rubber cable (ick) but the first 4-ish" from the fixture was shielded with Teflon. I would think that this does a good job in protecting the cord from its own fixture, but it would be pretty useless in protecting it from other fixtures.
The construction of the Ultrapar seemed sturdy. The housing was fairly thick DieCast Aluminum (I believe) and seemed to have the same grade as a Source Four Par. The both weighed about the same, from what I remember when I was working with Source Four's.
I don't remember seeing any kind of lamp adjustment on the back of the fixture, and I'm not sure if I remember the Source Four Par having one. Seems like it does. I know the Opti-Par does.
Basically, I would install this light on a DJ Rig or in a Nightclub, but would be alittle sketchy about using it in a theatre. I'm sure its an OK fixture, but I would just as soon buy Source Four Pars if I had the money. (There isn't that much of a price difference). I wish I could have turned it on, but I imagine the beam quality was acceptable given the reflector and the fact that the lens is probably identical to a Source Four Par's. It would be really nice to do a shoot out between the two, but I'm pretty sure as to who the winner would be.

Also... From looking back at the fixture in the photo, it appears that the "model fixture" is incomplete. The one I looked at had a disc brake on the side, and it should have been apparent in the picture - if it was even there. Also, the safety screen looks like its missing. ?
To top that off, the entire light is upside down.
And I don't think it bench focuses. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back