Behringer ULTRAPAR UP1000

jfbach

http://www.behringer.com/UP1000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Anyone used these, or heard anything about them. They are total Source Four PAR knock offs... but are they anything close to a Source Four PAR in the characteristics that matter? I.E. Luminosity, Overall Quality etc...

I know Behringer's products, and some of them I have liked, some I haven't... I have never used any of Behringer's lightin equipment... but i'd assume it's like most of there other products.

Anyway, it doesn't look like there is that big a price difference between the two, but it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

Here's some things to consider when buying a copied product:

1. If you own some of the originals, the two may look basically the same, but the output might be different enough to be noticable.

2. If you're adding on, the lamps, frames, other parts may be different. So if you keep spare parts in inventory, you've just had to double your parts inventory for 2 different but similar fixtures.

3. If buying to replace something, consider that you already own something and is it worth the investment to buy new as opposed to maintaining what you already have.

I wonder why the only sell them in certain countrys?

Cost:profit ratio
Safety criteria/codes
Distributors/dealers

These would be some of my guesses as to why they don't list them as being 'global'.

You do of course realize that this is only a 575w rated fixture?

Gee, that’s a large list of countries they can’s sell (won’t release) their product to. What does Aruba have for stolen technology litigation that the US can’t seem to get a clue on? MSNBC seems to love the topic of that countries laws. This not saying it’s stolen technology in any way “Professional Lighting Systems” is often rumored to feature, just as a in general question. Won’t be sold in Japan, Mexico, United Kindom, and even Taiwan. Very interesting, inquiring minds wish to know why not.

“First-class PAR spotlight.” I’ll be sure and tell my big boss to buy them instead.

“Ultra-robust aluminum die-cast casting.”
“Highly reflective polished reflector insert.”

“Ideally suited for being used with the Behringer 575H lamp” See below, I’m thinking the fixture might be designed around a type of lamp they just happen to also offer, it’s probably not so. Given the lamp they feature, perhaps it is a “improved” or more efficient PAR fixture if you can bench focus the lamp to optimize the beam. This would be unique and useful. No notes to such a bench focus or much of any other service or parts like replacement lamp bases or other concepts in the manual so I would guess that focusing the lamp advocated to use in not an option. It's a Par so in VNSP option, na - one would never notice.

Of lenses available, - what no wide flood? Oh' it's available just not provided with the lens kit. Seperate order in providing two MFL lenses instead. What’s a “color foil?” The protective screen gel frame is a good idea on the other hand. How well it works with all the lenses or given a lens sufficient to retain an exploded bulb on the other hand is a good question as to the need for such a thing. Which way in the manual does it say to install the lens? Forgot to look in a otherwise short manual.

In details of the fixture, I see the yoke is attached to the fixture by way of a philips head screw. This is unique in being able to provide sufficient tension to the yoke. One will also note that in the additional photo of this screw that the washer is a wee off center on the screw. Why is this? Perhaps a different size of washer for the screw inserted? Why would one in designing a fixture, specify a seemingly at least one size larger washer than screw? Perhaps it’s just the photo but what does the yoke break thumb knob attach to? Seemingly the yoke clutch is a wee/a lot shorter and part of the casting in not providing any locking by way of the knob. Does this fixture even have a clutch cam to lock it down? I am not seeing one in the photo. I see a knob but nothing it’s attached to.

I have downloaded the manual for the fixture. Not seeing a UL or other testing lab listing for a safe product in this. That lack of is a bad thing possibly, but it is “designed in Germany” and “manufactured under ISO9000 certified management system.” Not sure what this means.

“No user serviceable parts inside: refer servicing to qualified personnel.” plus the safety instructions in detail.
“Detailed Safety Instructions:
5) Do not use this device near water.
8) Do not install near any heat sources...
9) Do not under any circumstances remove the power plug safety mechanism.
11) Only use attachments/accessories specified by the manufacturer.”
Interesting... Otherwise similar to other manuals except they explain more about the fixture.

Seems to be a one piece fixture. Wonder how you remove the lens? Doesn’t say for when replacement of it or other parts of the fixture require work. Also does not show lamp base parts, or even a fixture whip. Must be some of them non-user serviceable parts.

Ah’ a new lamp for me to see and analyze. Now I get to have fun within my own field of nerd.

Conclusion first. Good thing they say “other compatible lamp types” can be used in the fixture because I’m thinking that the most off shore of 500w/120v EHD ANSI lamp would give some very serious competition in efficiency to this 575w/120-230v lamp. This much less a GE or Ushio HX-400 at 400w/115v would possibly contend to the lamp shown as a sample of what you get in their advised lamp type. HPR, FLK, GLC or long life lamps such as a GLA or HX-601/FLK-LL (given while “prolonged lifetime” is stated either lamp even if 115v might also be a better alternative both in life and output as reality.) Hard to say which they are selling, optimum output or long life. Normal companies feature in a lamp one or the other. Seemingly it’s both with this lamp that has a huge gap in filament spacing when the lamp that is shown in what would be a “normal what they sell condition” with a off center gap between filament coils. Just can’t imagine what is in the minds of those featuring a product like this other than a sucker is born every minute.

On comments:
Behringer 575H lamp. Simply fascinating lamp and unique to the industry in a first time I have ever seen such a lamp type of way. It’s a seeming dual voltage 120v/230v lamp by description with seemingly two distinctly different off center filaments within the same lamp in the initial small photo under the fixture. Such dual voltage lamps normally have three contacts, but this is a very unique lamp. The alternate “see more” view of the lamp shows a really weird lamp’s filament but also one that seemingly is not two distinct voltages, nor could it be in following the bridges between filament sections that is also unique to the lamp industry to see. Yet in photo the voltage rating stamped on this lamp is not specified. If it is a different lamp supplied from one country to another, how do they tell which is which, much less once this fixture hits the world tour circuit, how can those changing from 120 to 230v lamps from one country to another tell which lamps were or were not changed?

It than must be either a really dim but long life 120v lamp with crazy looking three grouped filament or a really high output 230v lamp but one with a really sort life. By photo of the lamp, you see three distinct coils of filament, one at the top way far away from the other two seemingly tangled together. Somebody paid for and approved of this photo as a statement of those at the Behringer company and it’s quality control. Given for a filament, it’s a point source of light meaning a really compact filament in square or cubic inches, and no gaps between were the light is coming from, the lamp featured would seem to have two distinctly different sources of light to be reflected by the fixture as a double image. This 1/3 - 2/3 beam of light causes either a genius oval pattern to a PAR - better than that of a S-4, or what other compatible lamps will be able to produce or some serious stray light given the filament is not very compact or centered within the bulb by way of manufacturer photo. Were this a Leko there would be a serious accuracy problem with installing the off center photo lamp that had two very distinct sources of light. Given a PAR, perhaps it helps the beam - probably not.

Normally for a lamp, one has the wattage, voltage and brand stamped on the lamp. They have at least one out of the three. Also for a normal website they get into details such as color temperature, luminous output and expected life of the lamp at the rated voltage based upon standard test data. Much less often will state the bulb dia and filament type or size amongst other details such as burn position etc. of the lamp. Nothing specified in details, yet claims provided in the advertisement does not speak well of a product.

Instead Behringer 575H lamps it would seem are described as G-9.5 based halogen lamps with a constant light output and prolonged life. Is this “constant light output due to the halogen effect as a statement or some new technology?” Much less one does not mention pinch seal temperature which is all the rave of other manufacturers currently in preventing lamp failure - premature. Prolonged life as opposed to what is not specified as with what they mean by minimal power consumption for optimum performance. Nice dot of a lamp retention area. Normal G-9.5 lamp bases have a sort of oval clip retaining the lamp which would not lock or even grip in any way this dot of gripping area in te porcelain.

Interesting photo, I’m also seeing a not very smooth nickel plating to the lamp base pins either.

As stated, interesting lamp. IN clicking on fixture photos under “Details” I do see a similar design lamp with a 230v stamp above the 575w rating. There than it would appear two different lamps available. One is marked for 230v, the other if not marked for voltage should be self evident to be 120v stupid. Given a lack of part numbers, how one gets one lamp instead of another I’m sure is a minor detail.

But ship, the sloppy appearance of the lamp is actually "superior construction", you must see that?

i'm still not clear about what the purpose of those handles are, even in the enlarged pictures it looks like they don't do anything....

a pretty genuine imitation though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back