Behringer X-LIVE is coming

FMEng

Fight Leukemia
Today, Behringer put up the product page for the new X-LIVE card for X32 consoles. X-LIVE records and plays 32 tracks with SD cards. Control of it is from the console screen, so no external hardware is required. I think this fills one of the few holes in the X32's capabilities. The rumors are it'll ship in December with a street price of $200.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is going to fill up an SD card super quick. Hopefully they also add hard drive support. Interesting idea though.

That is going to fill up an SD card super quick. Hopefully they also add hard drive support. Interesting idea though.

It depends on what size card you use. Figure roughly 512MB per hour per channel. So 16GB an hour if your using all 32 channels. Lets be really generous and say 20GB an hour to cover any extra data that might be recorded with it. With a 128GB card that's almost 6 hours of recording. Not many shows are going to go longer that, at least not without enough of a break that you could swap cards. And if you really wanted you could buy one of the 512GB cards and be in the 24 hour recording range. There is supposed to be a 1TB card coming soon.

Boo! Only SD/SDHC support (meaning you'll top out at 32GB cards, and no 64GB SD cards and no UHS-II SD card support) Hopefully this is a typo and it will support SDXC cards. *fingers crossed*

Boo! Only SD/SDHC support (meaning you'll top out at 32GB cards, and no 64GB SD cards and no UHS-II SD card support) Hopefully this is a typo and it will support SDXC cards. *fingers crossed*

Just did a little quick math and it looks like it's probably not a typo. 32 channels at their listed bit rate would be around 60GB for the 3 hours they list as the max per session. Which is pretty much the capacity you would have from 2 32GB SD cards. Not supporting an 8 year old standard is ridiculous. It makes me wonder if they didn't find a bunch of old hardware sitting on a shelf somewhere, or buy an old design from someone.

Ha!
It seems that many people don't understand the SD card types. The only difference between an SDHC and SDXC is the file system format. (XC is formatted to exFAT) Re-Format your SDXC card (any size) to FAT32 and it will work just fine.
I have plenty of 128gb micro-SD"XD" cards that are formatted to FAT32 and they work in standalone hardware devices that don't support exFAT.

Ha!
It seems that many people don't understand the SD card types. The only difference between an SDHC and SDXC is the file system format. (XC is formatted to exFAT) Re-Format your SDXC card (any size) to FAT32 and it will work just fine.
I have plenty of 128gb micro-SD"XD" cards that are formatted to FAT32 and they work in standalone hardware devices that don't support exFAT.
Really! Why have I not known about this before? Thanks for the info!

Ha!

It doesn't always work though. Some cards won't format correctly. Some devices won't accept a bigger card at all. And some work with some cards, and not other cards. The whole thing can be a frustrating mess.

It doesn't always work though. Some cards won't format correctly. Some devices won't accept a bigger card at all. And some work with some cards, and not other cards. The whole thing can be a frustrating mess.
I have yet to experience any of those problems that I couldn’t overcome, but then I’m better than most with computer stuff...

Ha!

There are caveats.

1) Windows won't format a drive in FAT32 with a partition larger than 32GB (There are 3rd party tools that will let you do this, caveat emptor: haven't tried partitioning a drive with Win10 yet)
2) 4GB max file size. FAT32 doesn't support single files larger than 4GB.
3) Max 2TB drive sizes. FAT32 will not go larger than 2TB, period.

Calling @JoeSanborn to see if he can confirm whether their system supports exFAT or not.

There are caveats.

1) Windows won't format a drive in FAT32 with a partition larger than 32GB (There are 3rd party tools that will let you do this, caveat emptor: haven't tried partitioning a drive with Win10 yet)
What you mean to say is you can format a FAT32 drive up to a 2TB partition under Windows, just not with the built-in system tools. So what? Macs can format them, free windows tools are available, and the X32 may even have a built-in formatting function. Non-issue.

2) 4GB max file size. FAT32 doesn't support single files larger than 4GB.
That same size limit exists with WAV files, which explains the 3hr limit on a single recording. (48k x 32bits = 1536kbs or 675mb/hr x 3 x 2 (assuming Stereo WAV files) = 4050mb
So this is of no consequence here.

3) Max 2TB drive sizes. FAT32 will not go larger than 2TB, period.
Probably still a few years off from there being a 2TB SD card, so again no problem in the forseeable future. (512gb cards are over $300, so even when bigger cards come out, they'll be too expensive for anyone to bother with them)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back