behringer x32

I keep looking around at prices and sometimes a deal really isn't a deal. Check out this from proaudiostar.
Behringer X32 Digital Mixer

I picked one up at guitar center for a local church. When I presented the non-for-profit papers and they saw it was for a church, they knocked it down to $2,100. I was impressed, as my quote I was going to ask them to match was $2,500.

Wow, that's pretty crazy. I didn't think Behringer had that much of a profit margin. When it comes time to buy I think I'm going to contact a long lost buddy who is a dealer and see what he can do for me.

I believe it's like this:

If 16 channels and 8 outputs will do, and all your mixing will be via iDevice(s), an X32Rack will do. If you need all 32 channels or all 16 outputs, add an S16.

Or, if you don't care to have the X32Rack's controls and display for emergency use, you can use an X32Core and one or two S16.

Either of these setups, along with an XLR splitter, would be just the thing for a band on IEMs.

I'm intrigued by the new X32 variants, but there's one thing about them which puts me off.

They have 16 (well, 17) lovely powered faders, but at first glance it appears you can only use the first 8 for input channels, with the second 8 reserved for buses/groups/DCAs.

Maybe I need to reconsider my workflow, but for live theatre use (which is what I do) I hardly ever do anything other than channels-to-stereo-main. I don't really need 32 (or 40) inputs as you get on the full X32. I'd be quite happy with a 16 (22) input system as long as it had 16 real channel faders, or at least was able to map the second set of 8 to channels 9-16.

Maybe this is possible under the hood and there's just not a hot-key for it?

Anyone know?

I'm intrigued by the new X32 variants, but there's one thing about them which puts me off.

They have 16 (well, 17) lovely powered faders, but at first glance it appears you can only use the first 8 for input channels, with the second 8 reserved for buses/groups/DCAs.

Maybe I need to reconsider my workflow, but for live theatre use (which is what I do) I hardly ever do anything other than channels-to-stereo-main. I don't really need 32 (or 40) inputs as you get on the full X32. I'd be quite happy with a 16 (22) input system as long as it had 16 real channel faders, or at least was able to map the second set of 8 to channels 9-16.

Maybe this is possible under the hood and there's just not a hot-key for it?

Anyone know?

After a quick delve through the X32 manual, I suspect I am being a dummy.

Can I just assign DCA1 to just Channel 9 (or 17, on the full-size X32), and so on, and therefore have live fader control of all 16 (or 24, on the full-size) channels? I'd still have to use the paging to access OTHER functions of channels 9-16 (or 17-24), but at least the faders would be there.

After a quick delve through the X32 manual, I suspect I am being a dummy.

Can I just assign DCA1 to just Channel 9 (or 17, on the full-size X32), and so on, and therefore have live fader control of all 16 (or 24, on the full-size) channels? I'd still have to use the paging to access OTHER functions of channels 9-16 (or 17-24), but at least the faders would be there.

Yes, absolutely. Did you find out how to assign DCA's? What's the issue you're having?

Yes, absolutely. Did you find out how to assign DCA's? What's the issue you're having?

No issue yet because I don't own one yet! :)

I was just trying to decide whether I had to splash for the full-size version in order to get more than 8 channel faders at the same time, even though I don't really need all those inputs. Yet.

There was stuff about how to assign stuff to DCAs in the manual, but I don't remember the details, and I didn't keep the PDF download.

I guess I need to read up on what DCAs actually do. What you said implies that (when assigned, in this case) they are an *additional gain* stage in the path, so that the fader still has a relative effect (and therefore needs to be parked at 0). By "it changes the sends" as well, do you mean that the DCA gain is always "pre-aux", even if the aux is set to "pre-fader"? (ie. the order is DCA, pre-fader aux send, fader, post-fader aux send)? That would be fine, as I don't ever use pre-fader aux sends from channels (or, at least, not ones that I'd want to have DCAs attached to).

I would be amazed if the 16 fader console does not have a way to "cascade" the next 8 channels on the DCA/mix area. You can not do this on the full sized, but it would blow my mind if you can't do this on this smaller desk.

IMHO, it's still a bit silly, though, that it doesn't just give you the option of assigning that second bank of faders to channels, given that all the strips are functionally identical and all it would need is another "bank select" button for the second set.

I would be amazed if the 16 fader console does not have a way to "cascade" the next 8 channels on the DCA/mix area. You can not do this on the full sized, but it would blow my mind if you can't do this on this smaller desk.

My point exactly.

Trivial to implement in the software, but if there ain't a button for it, then... :\

I guess because it's not actually immediately obvious *which* channel set to put there. If you have 9-16 selected on the first bank, would you also want them on the second bank? Should that mode just always do the "next 8", after the ones selected for the first bank? What should it put on the second bank if you've selected the "last 8" in the first bank? If you wanted it to be completely flexible, you'd need a complete set of channel bank select buttons (1-8, 9-16, 17-24, 25-32, Aux/USB) for *both* banks. Plus, the behaviour would then have to be different on the full-size model.

Hey everyone! My turn for a quick word on the board:)

Our church just purchased the X32 board Saturday and used it this yesterday for worship. . . We upgraded from the Studiolive 24. So having used both the x32 and the Studiolive 24 I can say that the X32 smokes
the Studiolive 24.

I did not know how the board was going to sound but I was blown away by what Behringer did with this board. This is a redeeming piece of equipment for them.

The sound of the board as a whole is much better. The sound of the preamps in the X32 is incredible. I could not believe the immediate difference in the sound between the 2 boards. The X32 felt much warmer and smoother than the Studiolive as well as easy on the ears. The Studiolive felt more more harsh and cold.

Our drummer ran monitors himself from the app without bothering the sound guy. We plugged the system right into the network and fired it all right up.

It took a little time to setup because of what we use it for. We have mixes for Livestreaming, CCTV, foyer feeds, ect. However after getting the initial setup done, the board was really fun to work with.

The compressor feels very transparent.
The knobs and buttons feel pretty good.
The channel strip labeling is REALLY nice and convenient.
The user interface and workflow does not feel overly complicated.
The network setup took about 30 seconds
Updating the firmware is as simple at rebooting the mixer with a thumb drive plugged in that has the new firmware on it

I currently work with churches consulting on A/V and this is the first piece of Behringer gear that I would recommend. We will see how it holds up the next few years but I am already very happy with it.

I also called Behringer today and spoke with Zach I believe. I had no wait in line for tech support and he spoke very good english:) He was able to answer all my questions and was very helpful.

I have worked in video and audio post production, engineering and ran a recording studio , done live audio/video production and worked in studios with big 20ft long audio boards and am a musician myself; That being said this is an incredible sounding board. It's not a $100,000 board, but it is legitimate. I understand the frustration of the past with Behringer, however this board is groundbreaking.

All I can say is, If you haven't actually heard the board or used it in a live setting, you have little right to much of an opinion:) Thanks for reading!

Or a single two button combo that cycles through, so three buttons total for the two faders banks

Dear Covenantseth,

Welcome to the X32 family and thanks for putting your trust in our products. We engineered the X32 to be the very best live/recording mixer possible and your comments are welcome feedback from a real-life user. It's not only the deep feature set, motorized faders and studio-quality FX that set the X32 apart, but the pristine response of the MIDAS mic pres as well. I am also pleased to hear that you have been well served by our CARE group as we have put a lot of effort and expense into delivering world-class support for the X32 and all of our products. Please do not hesitate to share your experiences with the X32 here and to us directly at BEHRINGER if we can be of further service or support.

Best regards,
Joe Sanborn
Manager, Channel Marketing
MUSIC Group
BEHRINGER

Or a single two button combo that cycles through, so three buttons total for the two faders banks

The ability to split the console (inputs/master section) is one significant reason why I like it. I do a lot of monitor mixing and being able to quickly access mix masters is crucial. Although, I do wish the right side could become inputs if desired. Oh well, can't have it all, especially for this price.

I own the X32 and am very impressed with the console. I do have a question. When I link 2 input channels as a stereo pair, the console automatically pans each channel all the way left and right for me, which is great, now when I unlink the channels, the console Does Not reset the pan back to Center, it leave the first channel paned left and the second panned right. Is there a setting I'm Missing, or can this be updated in a future upgrade?

I own the X32 and am very impressed with the console. I do have a question. When I link 2 input channels as a stereo pair, the console automatically pans each channel all the way left and right for me, which is great, now when I unlink the channels, the console Does Not reset the pan back to Center, it leave the first channel paned left and the second panned right. Is there a setting I'm Missing, or can this be updated in a future upgrade?
Since you are typically linking stereo pairs, if you unlink them then it seems to make sense to leave them as left and right rather than assuming they would be center panned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back