Bench focus of a Kliegl #1365E or Radial Leko Question

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
So finished this rivited together one - bad “improvement” done in the 60's or early 70's by way of stripping out all holes and losing almost all fasteners. First of three I have worked on with those problems, amongst lack of step lens and also this one has a P-28s lamp socket installed in it instead of a G-22 socket.

(Other two fixtures I have not bench focused but might now be doing in comparison at some point. Bench focus for me is normally an end user or something for one of my guys to do given I already did the bulk of the work.)

Can’t be sold off as an antique so I added a 6x12 set of lenses to it for use as an upgrade to 360 radial like light - about the same size as a 6x12 in overall snout length. Works fine in a hard edge and while not totally flat field - somewhat normal given that big gaping oval hole in the reflector, but I have seen very flat fields on radial Leko’s before. Done them myself.

Normally with the single reversed 6x9 PC lens or step lens on a old school Leko, it should be like a 6x16 I’m told by the now passed original owner of the gear.

Now at 6x12, they are mostly similar in bench focus to a normal radial Leko - four screws to adjust instead of three, but otherwise balanced stool on a center screw pivot point. In this case a socket head set screw thus another tool to carry up to the grid with you, but for the most part the same concept.

I see a fairly good hard edge but not as good field (didn't play a lot with it) - sort of spotty field that’s somewhat even that’s possible for a larger opening in the reflector on the older Leko or way off in bench focus. More important and in something I have never seen before, it has a linear hot spot down the longitude with the lamp center. Not an off center hot spot - a long linear hot spot that for the most part split the beam.

Lack of slot in upper body - instead a hole in it for the center splitting apart of the fixture is perhaps an upgrade I might just do as stupid to have to remove the thumb screw in order to split the fixture in seeing where the lamp is.

None the less, in looking at where the lamp is inside the reflector, it’s in a good place - could come forward some or back a bit but overall the filament seemed centered.

What’s with the large linear hot spot in the beam? Any ideas?

Could send the lamp out further into the fixture some and re-center in getting filament further away from the reflector. That perhaps the cause? Anyone seen this before?

Last edited:
I've gotten the linear hot spot before while bench focusing radial 360's. Wish I could say I was doing restoration like you, but sadly I was doing maintenance on the current inventory...

Anyway, I assumed it was due to the filament in those particular prefocus lamps (EGE's and EGG's) being slightly more elongated than in the equivalent bi-pin lamps. Maybe it is or it isn't, but it seemed like it, and this was pretty commmon for me. I just tried to flatten it out like any other hot spot and it usually went away...as much as it was going to go away anyhow...

I'm guessing the reflector is a true ellipsoid and not single- or double-flatted. Further guessing, since the unit has been modified with the P28s socket that you're using an EGE rather than a stock 500T12/8 lamp. I suspect the linear hotspot you're seeing is due to the coiled-coil filament of the EGE and not a planar filament of the T12 or the original T14 med. bi-post lamp the fixture was designed for.

...They take a medium prefocus T-12 lamp (probably almost impossible to find these days) or a quartz conversion like the 750W EGG (as in ANSI code, not food type).

They were designed for the C13D filament of the prefocus T-12 lamp, and the EGG is a smaller coiled-coil filament. The LCL is similar, but the filament geometry is wildly different. As such, you won't get a very nice field with it. It was one of the first attempts at a quartz conversion lamp.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the reflector is a true ellipsoid and not single- or double-flatted. Further guessing, since the unit has been modified with the P28s socket that you're using an EGE rather than a stock 500T12/8 lamp. I suspect the linear hotspot you're seeing is due to the coiled-coil filament of the EGE and not a planar filament of the T12 or the original T14 med. bi-post lamp the fixture was designed for.

Thanks to both above. Try further in perhaps extending say filament away from the reflector might be lost cause or worth trying, or lost cause due to filament type in a barbaric fixture type that with newer but still barbaric lamp - are they really that accurate due to these conditions? Yes using a EGE.

Not viable for other than the origional lamps? That's a bad thing in it going LED or medium screw in concept.

Explain further perhaps?

Couple of things:

1. Unless I'm crazy, not all of the retrofit TH prefocus lamps of this type have equally refined filaments. I still stock EGE's and EGG's, and some of my older ones have a clunkier, less tightly-wound coiled-coil than the new ones. Maybe that would help a little?

EDIT: I meant to say that having a tighter filament would help.

2. Poking around some websites, I found what appears to be a compatible lamp with a planar filament. This is really interesting and I'm starting to wonder if I should be stocking these instead? Thoughts? I feel like I'm missing SOMETHING since I've never seen these in the wild but using the original filament concept seems smart.

BulbConnection.com - $26.45 Ushio 1000208 DNS/FMC Replacement Lamp

3. This is random...but what on EARTH are the frosted lamps supposed to be used in? Seriously, a frosted ellipsoidal lamp? Really curious about this.

BulbConnection.com - $22.75 Osram 54656 EGK Replacement Lamp

...3. This is random...but what on EARTH are the frosted lamps supposed to be used in? Seriously, a frosted ellipsoidal lamp? Really curious about this. ...
Use in ERF (Ellipsoidal Reflector Floodlight), perhaps? Altman Lighting - Scoop Reflector Floodlight
proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back