Bent dmx pins

I have brand spanking new dmx cable and a bunch of the pins are bent and won't connect to my instruments. How do I safely straighten them? Please and thank you!

Needle-nose pliers, patience, and care. It may be useful to loosen the strain relief and pull the insert out of the connector body before attempting to straighten pins.

But IF they were brand new from the manufacturer, were it me, I'd be demanding replacements.

If you can't straighten the pins or if they break off, just solder a new connector on the cable. You do have spare parts like connectors in your lighting shop, don't you? It's a 10 minute job, probably less time than you'll spend on the phone w/the mfr.

I have brand spanking new dmx cable and a bunch of the pins are bent and won't connect to my instruments. How do I safely straighten them? Please and thank you!
Return them to the vendor for replacement. They are defective right out of the box.

Edit PS - or possibly customer returns that have been repackaged. Either way they need to go back.

Are all of the pins uniformly bent, or is it a couple of pins that are bent? I've seen something that looks like the former with a cable that used really cheap, knockoff connectors. It wasn't actually that the pins were bent, but that the plastic insert was too loose within the connector body to hold everything in proper alignment. If that's the case here, I'd be looking for a refund rather than an exchange as you're just as likely to have similar issues with the replacements. Settle for fewer cables from a better manufacturer if you have to...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back