Best C-Wrench?

rsmentele

Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
I watch this youtube channel occasionally and thought this video might interest most of us here.

I guess there's a reason it's called a 'Crescent' wrench!

theatricalmatt

Well, there's a wide variety of wrenches other than adjustable jaw / c-wrenches. (I recently suffered worked through a call in which the rigger and his assistant spent 90% of their time comparing the size of their podgers -- yes, it was as awful as it sounds.)

But my favorite wrench by far was a 6-inch wide jaw -- it opened wide enough to handle the bolt on a cheeseborough -- and also had a parrot beak, for getting in deep, or working around inset bolts. Lovely, lovely tool, and I absolutely cannot find the name of the manufacturer on it!

danTt

Well, there's a wide variety of wrenches other than adjustable jaw / c-wrenches. (I recently suffered worked through a call in which the rigger and his assistant spent 90% of their time comparing the size of their podgers -- yes, it was as awful as it sounds.)

But my favorite wrench by far was a 6-inch wide jaw -- it opened wide enough to handle the bolt on a cheeseborough -- and also had a parrot beak, for getting in deep, or working around inset bolts. Lovely, lovely tool, and I absolutely cannot find the name of the manufacturer on it!
I'm a big fan of this one, https://channellock.com/product/6wcb/ the jaw gets giant. (edited to direct link rather than amazon)

Last edited:

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
So much of the video just isn't applicable to our industry. Presumably, if I require the length and jaw size of a 10" wrench, I'm going to reach for a "real" open end, box, or socket, etc.

A 6" adj. fits in my back pocket better. I've found a file or a very light touch with a grinder helps to round off pocket-killing sharp edges. The wide-jaw option allows use with c-burgers. Any "name brand" that meets those criteria is fine for me. And throw a couple of Harbor Freight specials into the workbox for lending.

A co-worker had a wrench that she bragged about buying for 99¢ at the Dollar Store. It worked fine for her for a number of years, until she decided to use it as a hammer. o_O

TimMc

Premium Member
A few years ago I purchased 8, 8 inch adjustable wrenches by Wright Tools. USA made. I've gifted 4 of them and keep a spare in my car. I don't know if there is anything special claimed about them but so far I've yet to break one.

JohnD

Fight Leukemia

rsmentele

Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
Ooooh, that 36" model will really help those noobs get that c-clamp bolt nice and tight

SteveB

Decades ago I found an 8" adjustable wrench with a 3/8" socket adapter on the handle end. I kept a driver on it that fit the square bolt on a c-clamp. Useful tool, only lasted a few years, no idea the manufacturer.

SS Minnow

The best wrench is one in a stagehand’s pocket. Not in your bag. Not in your car… Actually went on a pretty good run last tour with at least one Hand with a wrench 7 shows in a row. Last year, I went 13 shows in a row without a Stagehand with a wrench, so things are improving…

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
Not a wrench, but...
Working in a high school PAC with a pretty stationary plot that doesn't change much, the Stage Junk Ultimate Flat Focus Tool is my favorite. I don't have anything in my rig that I can't adjust with it. It's light weight and flat. I added a lanyard, and it can hang out in my pocket all day without noticing it's even there.

cbrandt

I'm a big proponent of any 6" wide jaw c-wrench. Almost anything you're ever going to touch will be 3/4" or less, but every once in a while there's that one thing that's an inch or bigger and it saves a long walk to find the right tool.

Dionysus

I like it too, but I've lost two of them.
Yeah I've also lost two... So glad I bought two the second time I bought them... But now I am down to one. I wish I could get another. By far my FAVORITE EDC lighting wrench. Do I still need my C-wrench sometimes? sure, but it's never that far away.

Users who are viewing this thread