Best Camcorder for Archival Footage in Low Light

TheatreMissJ

I'm looking for suggestions for camcorders that do well with recording in low light/theatrical stage lighting. I'm hoping to find one that will not blur or white out the screen during lighting shifts or spot lit actors. Does anyone use a camcorder to record their shows or have any suggestions that might fit the bill? Thanks!

Jay Ashworth

I'm looking for suggestions for camcorders that do well with recording in low light/theatrical stage lighting. I'm hoping to find one that will not blur or white out the screen during lighting shifts or spot lit actors. Does anyone use a camcorder to record their shows or have any suggestions that might fit the bill? Thanks!
You'll need, at best, one with a Highlight/Backlight switch, which you can switch to Highlight.

Alternatively, one you can set the exposure on entirely manually.

That will require at *least* a prosumer camcorder or camera, if not one in what we lyrically call the lens-falls-off class.

Standalone cameras will be *easier* to get manual iris on.

ruinexplorer

Sherpa
CB Mods
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
You might have better luck with the camera separate from the recorder. Also, newer cameras with HDR (High Dynamic Range) of color can handle greater variances in light.

ruinexplorer

Sherpa
CB Mods
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia

ruinexplorer

Sherpa
CB Mods
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
Sony has a couple in the prosumer range as well.

Reactions: Jay Ashworth

Users who are viewing this thread