Best Diffusion for Elation Sixpar 300

jcslighting

I'm looking for suggestions for an upcoming show - so excited to have one, an upcoming show that is! The space has a compliment of Elation Sixpar 300 fixtures hung from a fixed truss over the dance floor but for this show we are building a stage extension over that dance floor that will raise the floor/shorten the throw distance about 3'. In your practical experience what is the best diffusion gel to get a wider throw from these fixtures? Currently they are like 15deg beam and I would love to get them closer to 50deg - quite a stretch. I may use some silk to make them more oval shaped like a traditional PAR but for downlight I just need them widened.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

I think you're going to want to try this on a fixture first... In my experience diffusing LEDs with a filter opposed to a "lens" doesn't tend to lead to desired results. You're likely to get intensity loss as microstar points out as well as color shifts.... LEDs don't like to be told what to do. Darn stubborn little diodes! I do love a little six par for accent lighting or small houses, but trying to stretch it to a 50° beam with any usable intensity or color without being closer than a flashlight will be impressive.... Let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the suggestions....both the Rosco and Elation products seem very similar - same materials but Rosco is like half the cost. Probably try that one for that reason alone....won't reach 50deg but might be able to move some things around to add more fixtures for coverage.

Thanks for the suggestions....both the Rosco and Elation products seem very similar - same materials but Rosco is like half the cost. Probably try that one for that reason alone....won't reach 50deg but might be able to move some things around to add more fixtures for coverage.
Rosco has the 40º/60º reversible. You can double up or use the Rosco/Elation products in different combinations to achieve more spread (at some expense of intensity of course). However, contrary to Elation's claim that a 25º plus a 25º= 50º spread, there is a formula that I can't put my hands on right now from someone's extensive article on this that does show how it works.
There are also several YouTube videos.

Found the formula mentioned above and great article by Mike Wood in Fall 2012 ESTA Protocol magazine:
https://edition.pagesuite-professio...me=&edid=85e61c67-88b9-4ba4-bc79-43002cb7f0b3
Basically, take the fixture's current spread, say 15º and a light-shaping filter, say 60º. To find the combined beam spread, square both figures, add together those squares, and find the square root of that number.
15º squared=225. 60º squared=3600. 225+3600=3825. Square root of 3825=61.84º
Two 40º filters by themselves would = 56.57º
You get the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back