Design Issues and Solutions Best gels for skin tones

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by MBmoose, Jul 5, 2017.

1. MBmoose

MBmoose New Member

I was wondering if people could recommend what gels they have found to work best on different skin tones? Both warms and cools would be appreciated. Thanks! (I typically stick to rosco)

2. rsmentele

rsmentele Well-Known Member Premium Member Fight Leukemia

3. Amiers

Amiers Renting to Corporate One Fixture at a Time.

Lighting Floor Tech
    R32 R08 R68 my goto here.

4. MRW Lights

MRW Lights Active Member

Well... It depends. "Neutral" might be considered amber, blue, lavender, pink, N/C ..... but there are ~10 of each of those. I like the "no color" colors, but put together they pretty much mix to white anyway so you might as well go with N/C... then add in the amber shift of lamp and you have a whole new set of colors. Surprisingly a darker skin tone can take advantage of a green/purple, but if it's the wrong tint it can look gray.... Similarly someone with red hair and typically lighter skin under pink gel can look like pepto bismal standing next to someone with brown hair and a tan...

If generally picking gel I try pick by subject matter and setting the tone of the environment. There are colors you can pick that are "safe" for "most people" and then they'll show up wearing a rainbow shirt and you're toast anyway.... Comedy=Pink and white with a touch of Amber, Classical Music=bright and white with maybe a shade of blue, Rock and Roll=RGB and N/C front, Talking Head=No color Pink with a little amber glow...

I suppose if I had go to's L201, L152, R60, R53, R08, R333. If you want to make the eyes have that extra sparkle, a fellow designer got me started with R74 in box booms, now I sneak it into every show I can.

Fair warning... Good luck with this post... there will be a lot of answers, opinions and links to lots of discussions on this.... I don't know your background, but you may want to have a longer in depth conversation with a designer and look at examples for what worked best in particular designs.

5. notoriousRBG

notoriousRBG Member

LD
    I mean... it's so broad, so there's really no "right" answer. It depends on a million things.

That said, if I'm designing a totally generic rep plot I'd likely go with R05 for warm and L201 for cool. If it's a dance plot, I often go more saturated (especially on the cool).

John Palmer likes this.
  6. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    MRW Lights and Amiers like this.
  7. John Palmer

John Palmer Active Member

I will second the R 05 for a warm.
    I like 3/4 CTB for the cool. R 3203
    I also like R 364, R 53, R 55, & R 304
    Take care,
    JP

8. Chris Pflieger

Chris Pflieger Well-Known Member

9. MRW Lights

MRW Lights Active Member

Yes and... you can typically go with more saturated colors in a top/down/back light, but I'm also a large fan of N/C top light in an allowable situation. The design element you're typically going for here is to give the subject definition and contrast against a background.

10. RonHebbard

MRW Lights likes this.
  11. Chris Pflieger

Chris Pflieger Well-Known Member

12. RonHebbard

MRW Lights likes this.
  13. RonHebbard

MRW Lights likes this.
  14. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

Oh, sure, drag ME into this...
    That's between you and your porcelain vessel (or possibly in your case, bedpan), but I WILL tell you you need more fiber (or fibre) in your diet. As does everyone.

Warm (dominant/key) from SR, cool (recessive, fill) from SL. There must be some reason we say "warm and cool" and not "cool and warm" mustn't there?. Back when McCandless was teaching me lighting, he said, "consider the location of the apparent light source." WTF is the apparent light source? Some say "motivational light source." Sunlight streaming through a bank of windows SL is an excellent example. So is the dim glow of some measly 40w sconces spread about the room.

To digress slightly, an exercise from directing class (What could directing possibly have to do with being a lighting designer?)...
    Given a stage with the six basic locations: DR, DC, DL, UR, UC, UL; rank them in order from strongest to weakest. First one is easy, has to be DC of course. After that, hmm, might be UC, but next? Because we read from Left to Right, DR is probably stronger than DL. (I wonder if it's the opposite in Hebrew locations.) This is also my long-standing corporate theatre justification for the lectern to be located DR if only one. Johnny Carson's (and Dick Cavett and Mike Douglas and Leno and Letterman and Kimmel and Conan) desk is SL, the couch with the guests is SR. On The View, Whoopi the moderator (except on Fridays) is SR. On The Talk, Julie Chen is SL, and it feels backwards.
    BUT, at a 21 table in Las Vegas, one shouldn't sit at third base unless one knows what he is doing, as he has the most control over what cards the dealer gets. Make the dealer bust and the whole table wins.

Back to the question of "what color should the downlight be?" I'm not generally a fan of downlight (except in arena staging where it must substitute for backlight). It does nothing for the face, and serves to shorten the body and smush it into the ground. It's fine for a special here or there, especially when one wants to emphasize isolation. Downlight can also interfere with and contaminate the backlight, either straight on or DIAG BAX.

I hope that's enough talking a lot without answering the question.

MRW Lights and RonHebbard like this.
  15. RonHebbard

16. SteveB

SteveB Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it's "Warm and Cool" as that's the order it came in the Rosco gel book.

I'm so old school, my systems and channeling follow the Rosco books, Yellows, Ambers, Reds, Pinks, Magentas, Lav's, Blues, B/G, Green. Even my ML and LED palettes follow that order.

derekleffew likes this.
  17. RonHebbard

18. JonCarter

JonCarter Well-Known Member

Happily retired
  19. RonHebbard

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    ScottT likes this.
  20. JonCarter

JonCarter Well-Known Member

Happily retired
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice