Best lights for a low ceiling?

cambo1000

The middle school pastor here at church is wanting to up their youth program...yadda yadda...so he wants to buy some moving lights/scanners.
Ok, so the room they are moving into is 12 feet high. (3.75 meters)
Basically I'm wondering if there are any lights that would not appear the size of a dime when shooting straight down. (need wide angle)

I'm borrowing a 13deg scanner tomorrow to get an idea (chauvet intimidator) but any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

There is a specified minimum height specified by the national building code, but I forget what it is. Also don’t forget to deduct for your grid height and keep the minimum distance between fixture and ceiling.

I’m thinking that instead of a moving head, you should go with a moving mirror fixture. Possible that when every inch counts this type of fixture might have the advantage given their beam angles can be as wide as necessary.

yeah I'm only getting scanners, but the problem is most of them have really small angles. A 19 would be nice...I would use I-Cues on some 19 and 26 deg. S-4s but the I-Cue+S-4+power supply=no.

Building code? hehehe...I'm sure we are in violation of that already.

cambo1000 said:
Building code? hehehe...I'm sure we are in violation of that already.

That is not an appropriate attitude to take. Anything that's already inplace is certainly not your problem, but, you should do this install and anything else to code. If the fire inspector pays a visit would you want to give him more to complain about and more problems to solve? No. Same deal with a city building inspector...

yeah the building used to belong to this other company that had done some of the installs, but everything new we have done has been close enough to code. Fire marshall has been multiple times, no problems. Guess they are too leinent around here.

speaking of fire codes,in new york state there is a law about fire exit announcements, if you don't have them you can be fined up to $500,
do any other states have similar laws?

avkid said:
speaking of fire codes,in new york state there is a law about fire exit announcements, if you don't have them you can be fined up to $500,
do any other states have similar laws?

Wow, woops. I'm in new york state and I have never done that kind of announcement at my school. Thanks for telling me that, from now on it will be the first thing to be said.

Something I've always sort of mixed in, I've never heard "in case of fire go out the back" is the way to say it, but, more politely and without scaring anyone "Please exit through the rear doors if you need to leave at any time during the performance" type thing.

Are you sure about that NY law? I've been to plenty of Broadway shows that did not announce the exits. Sounds like it might be a local or house specific code.

Nothing like that in VA.

yeah I'm sure a lot of the codes and laws vary from state to state. I REALLY think Texas (or at least this area) is very very lienent.
I say that cause we have a couple of lights hung on waterpipe in one room, marshall has been in there, not said anything. :eek:

Just use light trees with some 3" or 6" fresnels. Thats what i would do.

well, while that is an effective solution to many lighting problems, in the room I'm working in we really need to hang everything. The stage and room are going to be used in full and it would be nice not to have any lighting stuff in the way.

I would use some MX-1 or MX-4's.. they are low profile yet still have a professinal grade to them. They are designed for applications like this give that they used mostly in clubs and my mobile DJ's. You could also thown in maybe an Ego or two and some color changers.

O well than my next opion would be what digitaltec just said. :evil: :twisted:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back