Best metallic paint

Hey All,

I'm doing Chicago right now, our design is an art deco set of staircases (which we're doing with the technical brief flexi-pitch escape stairs design) leading to a main platform etc. Mostly it's out of angle iron.

It's all got to go glossy silver in the end, so I need recommendations for the best metallic paint you've used. The last few times I've done silver, it had a terrible habit of rubbing off on costumes, hands, the world. And I want to avoid oil based at all costs. We're a community theatre so we rarely have the budget to get pigments/scenic paints, but clearly I'm going to have to make an exception here.

From what I've seen, the best options are:

Color Coat Aluminum @ 81.32
Off Broadway Silver Metallic @ 84.17
Artist Choice Silver @ 69.26

In terms of durability it looks like Color Coat may be the way to go. Anyone have experience with these colors and have any wisdom to share? Many thanks in advance.

I've had very bad luck with Rosco Off-Broadway metallics. Just doesn't cover. I've had some good luck with both the Benjamin Moore and Ralph Lauren metallics. I've not used the Color Coat metallic, but the regular colors and clear, while SUPER expensive, are pretty remarkable.

I'm sure it's your plan, but make sure to base coat in a blueish grey. This will help your silver look, even without perfect coverage.

This is probably too late, but I just got done using Valspars metallic, it worked GREAT! Very Pleased

Also coming late to this thread, but Hollywood prop shops would coat metallic finishes with varnish or shellac to look more metallic. This also protected the metal finish. I would think that one of the newer polyurethane or auto shop clear coat would work too.

I am coming even later to this thread, but I've used Modern Masters with a coat of clear poly without trouble. It has great coverage, usually two coats is enough to cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back