Best Method? - Long Cable Run via Thunderbolt - Matrox Triple Head

Was thinking via crossover wired ethernet, would save from two cable runs to one and no HDMI/CAT5 converters, but maybe same issue.

That's good thinking, Jammer. I hadn't considered that. I suppose in that case, yes, you'd need to be able to see what was happening on the media server in some way. Whether through remote desktop or media server integration through a light desk, etc. If it could be done with a single or double cable run, it would save on having to buy all of the converters and additional cables, etc. Thanks so much for the great ideas. Funny how an outside perspective can introduce ideas that never even crossed ones mind. Thanks again for the help!

Keep in mind HDMI are not very reliable connectors. You can shell out a lot of money on components only to have a hdmi connector fail just because you moved the device a few inches. It was design to be a consumer product. DVI connectors are much more robust. Same signal, better connector. I wasted 2 days a few weeks ago chasing a problem with an led wall (yes, this rigger occasionally dabbles in video) using hdmi extenders and cat 6 only to realize it was a flaky hdmi connector that had been working fine for 2 days until it didn't.

That's good to know, egilson1. I didn't realize HDMI connectors had a reputation of being a little dodgy. But yes, that makes sense, as it is certainly a product geared toward the consumer market. It's definitely frustrating to try to track down a problem that ends up being a bad connector or bad cable. A few weeks ago we were experiencing major audio dropouts in front of a paid audience. Audio running from tracks on a computer would just disappear right in the middle of the show. SO stressful. On a system that has been totally stable for years. After limping through the show, and a ton of stress, we finally tracked it down to a bad firewire cable running into the audio interface. But man, it took forever to reproduce the problem and track it down. Since it worked some of the time, and other times it wouldn't. Your HDMI ordeal sounds like a very similar kind of mess. Thanks for the advice on the HDMI. Definitely a drawback worth being aware of before making a decision.

Curious if anyone has ever just located the computer/media server near the projectors and run it remotely from the control station using another computer via
DMX/ARNET/SACN or something like MS Remote Desktop or Any Desk? I think some of the media servers have a remote app.

You are correct that media servers such as coolux Pandora's Box will have the manager separated from the servers. I just did this for a show earlier this year. Ethernet run was over 300', but no noticeable issues.

I ended up using DVI with the MAC mini on top of the LED wall processors and triggered Qlab with the iOS remote. Worked brilliantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coming from the professional video side of things, I would highly recommend Blackmagic Design's mini/micro converters as SDI is meant for running these longer distances without problems; though it will need to be reclocked after about 100 ft. They offer both HDMI to SDI and SDI to HDMI converters for $85 a piece. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...sign_convcmic_hs_micro_converter_hdmi_to.html

The one has 2x SDI outputs, while the reverse has only 1x input (so three of one and six of the other assuming all displays are showing the same thing).

Running HDMI/DVI longer than 30 feet is not advised.

Coming from the professional video side of things, I would highly recommend Blackmagic Design's mini/micro converters as SDI is meant for running these longer distances without problems; though it will need to be reclocked after about 100 ft. They offer both HDMI to SDI and SDI to HDMI converters for $85 a piece. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...sign_convcmic_hs_micro_converter_hdmi_to.html

The one has 2x SDI outputs, while the reverse has only 1x input (so three of one and six of the other assuming all displays are showing the same thing).

Running HDMI/DVI longer than 30 feet is not advised.

Thanks for the solid advice, WVTheatre. Reliability shares the top spot with affordability for me, and this solution sounds like it meets both criteria. I'm familiar with Blackmagic products, but had not researched these particular solutions. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. I will certainly look into this product further. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back