Microphones Best mic for a female voice?

How much would you like to spend?

Are you looking for a true studio microphone or something with a USB connection? Do you want it to be head worn or on a stand?

We really need a ballpark budget, because there are answers from $50-$5000. The larger the budget the better quality of equipment.

You also can reach a point that the microphone will out perform the rest of your equipment. So it would be useful to tell us about the rest of your system as well.

Are you looking for a true studio microphone or something with a USB connection? Do you want it to be head worn or on a stand?

We really need a ballpark budget, because there are answers from $50-$5000. The larger the budget the better quality of equipment.

You also can reach a point that the microphone will out perform the rest of your equipment. So it would be useful to tell us about the rest of your system as well.

I'm thinking on a stand rather than a headset, and a studio mic rather than a USB connection. Right now I could spend about $150 but would be willing to wait and save..

My friend would be starting from nothing, so there's no rest of the system ;)

There is a big difference in the mic you choose for recording vs the mic you use for live performance. When recording, you want to get as much of the sound you can onto the track. In live performance, you only want to collect the frequencies you need.

The old SM58 is a pretty great mic for podcasting and works on just about anyone's voice. I would suggest going with a package like this: Amazon.com: Shure SM58-X2U Cardioid Dynamic Microphone with X2U XLR-to-USB Signal Adapter: Musical Instruments

After that, either a RE20, PR40, or SM7B would be the next move. You don't need a large diaphragm condenser for this type of thing. The PR40 has some of the best rejection of any mic out there, so if your not in an isolated studio its a good way to go.

There is a big difference in the mic you choose for recording vs the mic you use for live performance. When recording, you want to get as much of the sound you can onto the track. In live performance, you only want to collect the frequencies you need.

The old SM58 is a pretty great mic for podcasting and works on just about anyone's voice. I would suggest going with a package like this: Amazon.com: Shure SM58-X2U Cardioid Dynamic Microphone with X2U XLR-to-USB Signal Adapter: Musical Instruments

After that, either a RE20, PR40, or SM7B would be the next move. You don't need a large diaphragm condenser for this type of thing. The PR40 has some of the best rejection of any mic out there, so if your not in an isolated studio its a good way to go.

Coooool. Thanks a lot. really appreciate the help :)

"Which microphone should I buy?" is like asking someone, "Which is better: Ford or Chevy?" It's whatever works for you.

I personally don't own any Shure SM58's, although I do have a few Beta 58's. I prefer the Audix OM5.

I would suggest going to someplace like Guitar Center and have a salesperson plug several different microphones into a mixer and let you hear what each sounds like through headphones. Have your singer try different models as well as different manufacturers in your price range.

so pretty much a lot is just personal preference, and there isnt really a "best" brand?

It really just depends on what you are doing. Some mics have better patterns for voice in recording. Some good pickup but a ton of rejection for loud stages. It really just depends. Also, is this person your micing going to be singing or speaking?

It really just depends on what you are doing. Some mics have better patterns for voice in recording. Some good pickup but a ton of rejection for loud stages. It really just depends. Also, is this person your micing going to be singing or speaking?

probably mostly speaking but the option of singing would be nice. do you generally need different mics for that??

An interesting option is a somewhat overlooked condenser mic the CAD C195. I have had good experience with this with female voices. It DOES REQUIRE Phantom power though. It is quite inexpensive around 79 dollars or so that said, the SM58 is probably one of the must widely used mics around. A lot of radio stations use EV 20 but you are looking at about 450 dollars

Sharyn

Not really an expert on microphones, but I have to suggest the PresonusAudiobox USB as an interface. It is completly USB powered, and provides full 48 volt phantom power, so you can use any condenser microphone with it, and wont really have to buy more equipment later if and when you upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back