Best way to choose projector resolution

Hi,

I have shows where I have the same content and different projectors. Sometimes 16:10 sometimes 4:3. The projector is on stage mounted on truss or from FOH.
At the moment I use my MacBook Pro with Qlab3 and VGA out, then Extron VTT001 thru 50m of shielded CAT5e and then Extron VTR001. Problem is that I have different projectors. Even when selecting from Mac display properties, using "alt" key and "scaled" selection I don't have exact resolutions to match the projectors native resolution. How is it possible to see all the resolutions or should I use third-party software for that?

Also another question, this is more Qlab oriented. If I have a projector with coverage let's say for 4m wide screen. And my screen is only 2m wide. Should I use in Qlab3 the dimensions to match my screen size or should I leave the screen size there same as projectors native resolution and then drag the corners to match my screen size? Hope you understand what I mean. It's hard to explain it in foreign language.

All help much appreciated!

Likely what is happening is that your Mac is not receiving the EDID from the projectors. Your video card will go to default settings, which may not include the native resolutions of your projectors. Are you using both projectors at the same time? Something that you might try is to starting up the projector, then powering the Extron, then powering up your Mac. On occasion, with analog signals, the EDID is not always properly sent unless you have the display on prior to powering up the computer. Heck, that can happen with the DVI handshake as well.

I'm not sure I exactly understand your second question. From my understanding, where you must place your projector, you have twice the image size as to your screen size. You are unable to move your projector or get a different zoom lens to accommodate this. You want to know how to fit your image. I would keep Qlab3 outputting the native resolution of the projector and then have a smaller image in Qlab3 (with blanking around the image). This prevents your projector from also having to process the image and will give you less latency and better clarity of the image. If I am misunderstanding your intent, I apologize and will try again when you get this.

I have shows where I have the same content and different projectors.
Did you mean that you have more than one projector of different makes / models that are used simultaneously for a particular show?
If this is your question, then you may need to rent/buy an image scaler. The connection would be to go from your computer to the scaler, then from the 'loop-thru' output connection to the higher resolution of the two projectors, and send the scaled output (processed output) to the lower resolution projector. The scaler can be used to adapt the 2nd projector's aspect ratio / crop to match the 1st projector's image. All of 'ruinexplorer's' comments about the power-up sequence still apply: Start at the projector(s) and work your way back up the signal chain to the source.

Or, did you mean your have a single projector display where the particular projector changes from show-to-show?
If this is your question, then 'ruinexplorer's' answer is very good.

Side note: if you have a computer with a digital output (DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort), then use that and connect to the digital input on the projector(s) and/or scaler. The digital transferred image will generally be a better image quality link unless you have some good training about how to optimize the analog VGA signal links (Extron is a good resource for that). This means that you would have to replace the VTT/VTR001 VGA extender set-up for either a fiber optic link or an HDBaseT link. Some newer projectors have direct HDBaseT inputs, and some scalers have integrated HDBaseT outputs, so it depends what the equipment you are using is.

When I've dug into spec sheets in the past, the vast majority of VGA over Cat products don't carry any EDID information...
It was fairly late to the party, seemingly a back port of the work for DVI and the like...

I have single projector per show. Those Extron things are one-way so no EDID.

I'm not sure I exactly understand your second question. From my understanding, where you must place your projector, you have twice the image size as to your screen size. You are unable to move your projector or get a different zoom lens to accommodate this. You want to know how to fit your image. I would keep Qlab3 outputting the native resolution of the projector and then have a smaller image in Qlab3 (with blanking around the image). This prevents your projector from also having to process the image and will give you less latency and better clarity of the image. If I am misunderstanding your intent, I apologize and will try again when you get this.

I think I'm doing that. Video stays the same but I edit the screen dimensions in Qlab to match my screen size. So I have my image only on my screen and all other are black. All the processing is done at Qlab. It's like making a smaller screen on the bigger one. I hope this makes it more clear.

I've used so many extenders, I didn't look up yours to see if it passed EDID. Since it doesn't, and it has no way of emulating an EDID (some can copy), then you are likely stuck with the default resolutions provided (I don't know of a software that can take care of that). You can buy an EDID emulator (like this) that would go before your extender. This device can store the EDID from your projector and make your computer think that it is directly connected.

Otherwise, it sounds like you are doing the right thing with Qlab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back