Best way to do an instrument schedule for a black box theatre?

... The pipes DS to US are labeled as letters and the pipes SL to SR are labeled as numbers.
You've answered your own question.
Pipe #1-Unit#1 is the furthest luminaire stage left in that location.
Pipe A-Unit#1 is the furthest instrument downstage in that location.
If a fixture falls on an intersection (which it won't as it MUST hang on one pipe or the other) pick either one.
If it's in the round and there is no "downstage" or SR/SL, number and letter from the control booth's perspective (or the tech table's vantage point) at the bottom of the drawing.

Sample: InstrumentSched.pdf ; http://pma.cornell.edu/schwartz-center/plans/BlackBox/lights/Plot.pdf ; http://pma.cornell.edu/departments/tfd/schwartz-center/plans/BlackBox/lights/Channel_Hookup.pdf .

Last edited:
You've answered your own question.
Pipe #1-Unit#1 is the furthest luminaire stage left in that location.
Pipe A-Unit#1 is the furthest instrument downstage in that location.
If a fixture falls on an intersection (which it won't as it MUST hang on one pipe or the other) pick either one.
If it's in the round and there is no "downstage" or SR/SL, number and letter from the control booth's perspective (or the tech table's vantage point) at the bottom of the drawing.

Sample: InstrumentSched.pdf .

Thank you for that example.

AND if the designer has never designed in the space before, you will probably end up moving half of the lights at focus anyway.

"Can you move that unit 6" DSL?" To " I need that entire system rehung on THAT pipe over there"

AND if the designer has never designed in the space before, you will probably end up moving half of the lights at focus anyway.

"Can you move that unit 6" DSL?" To " I need that entire system rehung on THAT pipe over there"

AMEN to that! I've found myself in that position before -- and studio theatre in-the-round can be interesting. "Replace all those 50-degree ellipsoidals with 6" fresnels".

AMEN to that! I've found myself in that position before -- and studio theatre in-the-round can be interesting. "Replace all those 50-degree ellipsoidals with 6" fresnels".

"What? There aren't any more 6" Fresnels? Oh, well heres six different frosts that I want in each of those 50s"

But honestly, I prefer that to designers who make me hang systems they never even use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back