Big Light Users

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
Any Martin/Zap Technologies Big Light Users or owners out there? PM me, I would like to gain some observations from other users in a non-public way about cable type stuff /lamp observations /confetti issues / various nuts coming loose type issues amongst other things.

Sorry and I'm hoping not to make it a post/public discussion type of thing that is ready for debate until I find more to confirm my own observations and or get solutions on the way. This even if the questions seem confusing in nature. Believe any info or observations I can get would be better served for solving them off line for now. Also, in the end, it is still a new fixture but an expensive one, I'm hoping to gain more imput and solve what I observe about them but such issues have to be off line for now about such stuff given a need for specific end user details and product specifics that might be unique or lot number based at this point.

Last edited:
[SIZE=-1]www.martinpro.com/marketing/files/Big%20Lite%20leaflet_lo.pdf

or here's a better link, that isn't a pdf.

But it will be a long time before you're ready for these, Charc. No offense intended, it's just that fixtures of this category, along with the Syncrolite and HES Showgun have very limited uses in theatre.
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
I agree on that one. If your planning to use movers (Martin, Vari*lite etc) looking at the Showgun or Sychrolites are probably not the best idea, given that the Showgun has warnings out about not placing fixtures within 4m of the lamp. But there you go.

For theatre uses, the Mac 500 for a profile and 600 for a wash are the best applications as they are powerful enough to cut through a stage wash but still allow flexibility for the LD

For theatre uses, the Mac 500 for a profile and 600 for a wash are the best applications as they are powerful enough to cut through a stage wash but still allow flexibility for the LD

I beg to differ. First off the mac 500 only has a color wheel which is awkward for theatre, it also lacks shutters. It being an arc fixture also will keep it from matching the rest of the plot. Hands down, the best theatre fixture is the VL1000TSD fixture. Bright, Tungsten lamp, cmy, and framing shutters all just under $5K. It also can be used as a wash light.

What is this light? Can someone furnish a link?
A quick browse of the Martin website did not turn up any leads.

Charc you know those search lights you see in prison movies... it's bigger than that.

The big light is about 3' wide 4' tall and weighs about 275 pounds. You really need about 6 at your school.

I think it's funny they named it the "Big Light". Snakes on a Plane, anyone?

Ah, more cool toys for the big boys. (Some day.....)

Don't forget the Super Big light... 7,000 watts vs. ONLY 4,500 in the Big light. Unfortunately I don't see the size and weight of the Super Big on their website.

But to quote an old Mike Myers bit... It's "FRIGGIN' HUGE!"

i'm going to put my two cents in and say that for theatre, one of the better movers is the ETC S4 Revolution. i won't say the best, as it is a bit old (the new ones are quite nice though), but it's quiet, relatively quick, and has a lot of features. the new ones have shutters, the older ones only have iris and zoom. all in all i like them.

i'm going to put my two cents in and say that for theatre, one of the better movers is the ETC S4 Revolution. i won't say the best, as it is a bit old (the new ones are quite nice though), but it's quiet, relatively quick, and has a lot of features. the new ones have shutters, the older ones only have iris and zoom. all in all i like them.

Not to get into a Revolution vs. Other MLs debate... This is just to straighten out some facts as I regularly work with 11 of these fixtures. The revolution is a nice tungsten fixture. It is in no way shape or form quick, that is what makes it not quite so quiet (though it claims to be, and is quieter than many fixtures). Also, any revolution, from the first one off the line to the one that came off the line today can use the same modules (though the new one have a different scroller). So any Rev can have a combination of any two of the following: Static Gobo Wheel (SWM), Rotating Gobo Wheel (RWM), Shutter Module (SM - rear bay only), Iris Module (IM), or Blank Module (BM). While I don't mind using them ,and they certainly get the job done, they are quite unwieldy, but they are a good theatre moving light at a decent price, which is what they were designed to be. You can integrate them into a rig of conventional fixtures and not have color temp matching issues which is nice.

ehhhh I still am in the VL100TS camp. When you get the accessories for the revolution the price comes out about the same and the VL and the VL has cmy....

I believe "Beamige" is french for "FREAKIN HUGE LIGHT".

One theatre I worked in had two 12" Altman studio Fresnels on their own dedicated batten. On the flyrail it was labeled "BFL". When I asked what "BFL" meant, the answer was simple, "Big F***ing Lights".

<off topic>
Ah yes! LDs, Stage hands, Set designers, and others often come up with great acronyms! Next time you are watching TV late at night and see an old Star Trek on, watch for the "engine room" set: Big pipe with an arrow on it with the letters GNDN on it. Set designer humor, stands for "Goes Nowhere, Does Nothing."
</off topic>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back