The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

black and white?

Discussion in 'Scenery, Props, and Rigging' started by Bluefey, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Bluefey

Bluefey Member

I had a little trouble deciding what thread to use for this, but I would like to do a show in black and white. I think it will be really cool to try to emulate the style and feel of the old black and white movies on stage.

I saw this done before - but I really have no clue how to achieve it.

The obvious for the paint is use various shades of gray... but how do i go about transforming the dressings to that grayscale feel? is there a way to dye or tint fabric that will take out the colors and leave it looking like a black and white movie? Or do I need to find material already in grays and reupholster the furniture. Anything special to consider that I havent thought about?

any tips on achieving this would be greatly appreciated - including tips on making people look grayscale.

2. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

3. Bluefey

Bluefey Member

thanks for the links - i had looked for threads about it aleady but not in lighting and not by using search ....

My biggest problem is that I will not be able to change the lighting - as this is a show for contest and will need to travel from stage to stage. Something like a scrim is not even an option.

I will have a blue wash available so will definitely see how I can use that to help if at all... I also will remember what was said about blacks playing slightly colored.

I was hoping you guys knew of tricks with the set to make things appear greyscale - maybe a way to dye things or something to spray on furniture or fabric to mask colors...

I am definitely going to think about the film noir ideas - since the show is a murder thriller from the late 30's