black and white?

Bluefey

I had a little trouble deciding what thread to use for this, but I would like to do a show in black and white. I think it will be really cool to try to emulate the style and feel of the old black and white movies on stage.

I saw this done before - but I really have no clue how to achieve it.

The obvious for the paint is use various shades of gray... but how do i go about transforming the dressings to that grayscale feel? is there a way to dye or tint fabric that will take out the colors and leave it looking like a black and white movie? Or do I need to find material already in grays and reupholster the furniture. Anything special to consider that I havent thought about?

any tips on achieving this would be greatly appreciated - including tips on making people look grayscale.

thanks for the links - i had looked for threads about it aleady but not in lighting and not by using search ....

My biggest problem is that I will not be able to change the lighting - as this is a show for contest and will need to travel from stage to stage. Something like a scrim is not even an option.

I will have a blue wash available so will definitely see how I can use that to help if at all... I also will remember what was said about blacks playing slightly colored.

I was hoping you guys knew of tricks with the set to make things appear greyscale - maybe a way to dye things or something to spray on furniture or fabric to mask colors...

I am definitely going to think about the film noir ideas - since the show is a murder thriller from the late 30's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back