Control/Dimming Black Box Light Board (Any Suggestions)

Hi all -

I usually stay out of discussions like these, but I would like to let you know of some things about the SmartFade console and SmartSoft. With version 2.0 software, SmartFade will support the direct recording of "cues" into the stack (main cue list). We recognized in SFML that this was a necessary feature and have added it to SF in this new version.

Additionally, we do distribute SmartSoft software for free on our Web site. Version 2.0 is now in Beta testing and can be downloaded by any registered member of our Community forums. One of the features of SmartSoft is that you can connect your console to your PC/Mac and not only see live display screens, but you can also work with your show data directly on the computer screen to edit data. Feel free to join our forum, download the beta software and give either SmartFade or SmartFade ML a try using the console face panel simulator right in the software. This way you can try the console for free before making any purchase decision for your black box space.

With the addition of SmartSoft to the console, I think you'll find it much easier to work with a SmartFade console within a theatrical space - for those of you who have worked with SF and have not yet seen SmartSoft I recommend you take another look. While you can do everything you need within the LCD menu, it is a bit cumbersome and the SmartSoft screens make every part of your show data quite visible and easy to edit using drag-and-drop graphic screens.

(Stepping away quietly now...)

Thanks -

Sarah

Sarah Clausen
Controls Product Manager
ETC, Inc.

With version 2.0 software, SmartFade will support the direct recording of "cues" into the stack (main cue list). We recognized in SFML that this was a necessary feature and have added it to SF in this new version.

A most excellent decision! I've been working on a blackbox production this past week on a SF 1296, and my ALD and I have been dreading the moment we would have to program the stack. For tech purposes, we've been recording all the cues into memories and having our board op manually crossfade between each one. Though he's become quite good at it (almost dipless), it will still be excellent to have a cue-able system.

Just to clarify: the ETC website says about SmartSoft:

Note: SmartSoft v1.x software is only compatible with SmartFade ML consoles and Windows XP/Vista computers.

Does SmartSoft now interface with normal Smartfade consoles as well, or only with the SmartFade ML series? Also, is the 2.0 Beta stable enough to run during a production?

All the Best

Does SmartSoft now interface with normal Smartfade consoles as well, or only with the SmartFade ML series? Also, is the 2.0 Beta stable enough to run during a production?

yes, the smartsoft v2.0 bèta and the new version 2.0 smartsoft do support all smartfade consoles, including the conventional 1224, 1296, 2496

I have recently ran a production with the bèta software and except some minor problems (wrong coloring of buttons, wrong display info before first step in stack, strange wake up behaviour after a power down...) I experienced no single stability problem during the play (5 shows x 2hour). The console worked like a charm.

With the addition of Smartsoft, the Smartfade realy has some added functionality, the stack was very difficult to use, but now with Smartsoft it's easy, very easy. You can add names to memories, cues, lists. You can copy, move, insert cue points, alter up and downfade times, consult DMX, Patch, Cue info at all times on a large screen...

You need a pc/laptop since the Smartfade has no vga/dvi out included, so hook up a pc using usb, install the drivers and update the panel and you have a full grown console with powerfull functions under the hood only seen in much more expensive consoles... it's no Congo, Ion or Eos and sure no GrandMA Light, but what can you expect for such a price?

It still has some problems in the v2.0 software needing attention, and the external power supply does fail... we bought a second one.

Regarding those saying that Smartfade is not a good choice for theatre, or that people using 'real' consoles can not get used to Smartfade... I'm surprised, specialy with the Smartsoft it's easy to program, and easy to use in smaller venues. It's way more powerful than simple two scene preset boards, and not that difficult to learn.

You can use the board as a simple two preset board or as a memory board, and in contradiction with what is said on earlier posts, with the NEXT function on the smartfade you can use it as a two-scene preset board when set in memory mode. Set your conventionals 1-96, fade them in, press next, now you can blind edit a new scene to fade in. This allows to control more than just 24 devices in a preset manner.

The only things that are on my wishlist for Smartfade are:
- the ability to add chases to a cue stack
- a 'one fader crossfade option' instead of the use of two faders
- an easier way to slowdown or speedup a crossfade when Go was pressed.
- keypad entry for more than info/text only :)

Offcourse the Ion is a better, more powerfull, more expandable console than a smartfade, you only get what you are willing to pay for.

Last edited:
For a quick review of SmartSoft, see this thread. Feel free to add your opinions there as well.

I would agree that SmartSoft makes the stack a lot easier to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back