Black Box lighting instruments in a low ceiling room

Then there were the storefront shoebox spaces than used the 4 1/2" PC spot (yes Altman made one for a long time).
That would be one of the "Professional lights" they would also fill in with home brew lighting, inspired by "Stage Lighting in the Boondocks" by James Hull Miller.
Surely mixed in with less "professional" clip lights for those critical washes, right? Or was that just my experience in storefronts?

Surely mixed in with less "professional" clip lights for those critical washes, right? Or was that just my experience in storefronts?
Remember when Apollo sold those with a colorframe attached (blue) for running lights. They were quite popular.

My first thought when looking at the room was some tracks along the beams with a bucket of track light fixtures, maybe with MR-16 lamps, to plug in wherever needed. But I couldn't find any that were LED or DMX controlled! :-(

Thanks to all who made suggestions--the assistance is appreciated. I've looked at several of the manufacturers' lines and I think we can make this work. (But I did suggest that they raise the roof and install a grid under an 18' ceiling.)

Not totally up with all lights available, but worked for years in a 14' high space. Yes the 6" Fresnels and Leko's if needed, as with PAR 56 back than, where positioned in not being too low.
But an Altman 3.5Q5 (which should support a 360Q LED upgrade) and is a much better fixture than a S-4 Junior. Granted my only experience with the S-4 Junior is in having to remove exploded lamps... taking apart the fixture to do so. LED should not be a problem. An Altman 3.5Q5 verses ETC S-4 Junior LED would be a going comparison in what's cheapest and most efficient.

AT one point I had 16x Altman #100 3" Fresnel inkies for the room, they were the bulk of lighting. There are now BA-15d LED tower lamps that could power these lights. Though I might try something different in light source if asked.

These days going to the ETC smart track as opposed to the normal track lighting systems we didn't have back than. One can convert track lights and other movers etc. lights to the ETC smart track system. Already converted some Altman 100's and Q-Lights to this in the past as with converting ETC Micro Ellipse halogen to LED Soraa lamps. ETC Micro Ellipse is already more efficient in it's LED version, but this was before they came out.

If there is money, perhaps some Mac 101's, but otherwise I think the Altman #100 Fresnel for the bulk of the lighting, and perhaps the ETC Micro Ellipse, and the Altman 3.5Q5 with LED upgrade, or the ETC Mini for the base bulk lights. Smart track system if you can afford. ETC also has some narrow but still too wide cyc lights that have a large wash effect. There are other brands with a smaller fixture size that could work in a bar of them which could establish a general lighing for others to supplement.

Ship, Thanks for the suggestions. LED lamps in standard (small) fixtures such as the Altman 3" Fresnel may be the answer. The group would like "total" LED fixtures of course, with internal color control, dimming, etc., etc.., but this may not be possible in a fixture size that will fit the space. Conventionals with DIMMABLE LED lamps would, of course, require a dimming system of some kind, which they wish to avoid.

Ghost loads are a problem in going LED unless and dummy load - as inefficient for the dimmers, until they are converted to LED dimmable. I get you, money to do the LED dimmable concept, verses money to actually do it.

Small space, ask the cost in going LED verses what will incandescent/Quartz do it for now. If there is a budget, perhaps propose a smart track for where would be optimum for small movers or otherwise LED lights that don't need a dimmer pack. For the rest, perhaps Incandescent or LED fixtures.

A note, it's possible that many mini or micro or lamp caps... as it were with a DMX terminator, are more modern and self correct normal stage ligthing dimming control for normal dimmers.

I do not know this, but it's possible any modern LED gear or lamp caps self correct in not needing a dummy load so as to work with normal dimming. Something to look into.

Anyone tried short strips?

I've had this theory that strip sections could be very useful for washes in low ceilings. Enough of them would be extremely soft and smooth, which is the hardest thing to do up close. One could even build cove strips onto the ceiling to manage the beams properly.

Ship: At this point the room is bare--no dimmers, wiring, or anything As to dummy loads, if conventional LEDs were to be used on dimmers this doesn't present a problem. (Not enough wattage to worry about. The HVAC on the other 21 hrs. of building use will far exceed any stage lighting power use--conventionals, LEDs, dummy loads or anything else.) The organization wants to go all-LED, which is fine, IF instruments small enough to fit under the ceiling without requiring actors do duck under them and IF instruments that will spread wide enough can be found.

RickR: Thanks for the strip suggestion. I will look into that.

As an off-the-wall suggestion: I've suggested that they raise the roof over the room to allow a 16'-18' ceiling with room for HVAC ducting and a proper lighting grid. Haven't heard back yet.

I'd seriously suggest the Chauvet DJ Slimpar Pro H. I used them for a low ceiling install before and they worked great. Color frame holder means you can put some R119, R101, or even better holographic light shaping filters ("LSF"). It's a flat fixture, so if you side hang them with the connectors touching the ceiling, you should get good clearance. I personally would not recommend the Core Par fixtures having used both because the Core Par fixtures were lacking in color but the Chauvet Slimpar Pro H really delivered on what I was looking for color wise with the white and amber LEDs thrown in the mix and I believe a deeper blue and better red. They're also very well build fixtures, and the power/data linking is great for installs since it's only 99W max draw. They don't have the sidways connectors like the Core Pars though, so you lose an inch or two to connectors sticking out the back.

For ellipsoidals, I'll second the few suggestions of the Chauvet DJ EVE E-100Z or E-50Z (less punch but wider zoom). If you prefer a softer warm white fixture, the F-50Z.

ETA: A local Chauvet dealer can also set you up with a Chamsys QuickQ 10 and any and all power & data jumpers you'll need as well as clamps. You'll just need to get any extension cords you need (5-15/edison that is) locally as I don't believe they offer those.

Last edited:
My first thought when looking at the room was some tracks along the beams with a bucket of track light fixtures, maybe with MR-16 lamps, to plug in wherever needed. But I couldn't find any that were LED or DMX controlled! :-(
Have you looked at ETC's Data Track? There's versions of the Irideon FPZ Spot and WLZ Wash, and the D22 that are track mount. And it looks like there are adaptors to tie larger fixtures into the data/power. I haven't used either, but the FPZ is supposed to be similar to the S4 mini, but brighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back