Black RP Screen

Hutcoy

Hey Hivemind,

I know most of us are away from theater and have a lot of unknowns, but I'm in the market for a black RP in Feb 8th-April 5th, 2021 in Milwaukee, WI. Rental, borrow, we're open to all options. Minimum size: 45’ w x 15’ h. Ideal: 50’w x 17’6”h. The masking arrangement allows us to use larger as well.

Anybody own one that they would be willing to rent, or know a rental company that has one in stock?

That's a pretty big size so may be hard to find, but I would try calling up these guys in order of likelihood they'll have something. Doesn't look like Studio Gear does from their website but they do a bunch of subrentals so they may know someone else who does.

1) Studio Gear
2) Clearwing
3) Acme
4) Logan Productions

Large wide-format RP screens are generally going to be harder to find because of how much throw distance you need behind them and that in this case you would be talking about multiple projectors to hit that aspect ratio -- those screens end up not seeing a lot of rental opportunities for those reasons. I would not be shocked if you end up needing to buy this from Rose Brand or maybe Rose Brand can help you source a rental for it.

Thanks Mike. I've already started with Rosebrand. It's the price of their quote I'm trying to mitigate and no luck on rentals from them. We've got a line item for 2 10k projectors and we've got 19' of throw distance. The problem is the BLACK projection screen. The cream and gray ones we have in stock aren't good enough of course....If we need to go the purchase route we will, just with the COVID storm I, I have to go back to the penny-pinching days of my youth.

That's a pretty big size so may be hard to find, but I would try calling up these guys in order of likelihood they'll have something. Doesn't look like Studio Gear does from their website but they do a bunch of subrentals so they may know someone else who does.

1) Studio Gear
2) Clearwing
3) Acme
4) Logan Productions

Large wide-format RP screens are generally going to be harder to find because of how much throw distance you need behind them and that in this case you would be talking about multiple projectors to hit that aspect ratio -- those screens end up not seeing a lot of rental opportunities for those reasons. I would not be shocked if you end up needing to buy this from Rose Brand or maybe Rose Brand can help you source a rental for it.

@Hutcoy

It's been a couple of week, did you find a source? The only other vendor I came up with is ScreenWorks and I'm not sure they're doing screen-only rentals anymore.

For that matter, in the age of Covid, is the show even going on?

No source so far. I've struck out with everyone I know. Right now the plan is to buy it and share cost between two shows, which at lease makes the pricetag a bit more palatable. The show was in September, but has been postponed to the dates listed in the OP. Milwaukee hasn't been hit nearly as bad as other cities, but it certainly hasn't gone unscathed either. But they say the DNC will still be in person:rolleyes:

@Hutcoy

It's been a couple of week, did you find a source? The only other vendor I came up with is ScreenWorks and I'm not sure they're doing screen-only rentals anymore.

For that matter, in the age of Covid, is the show even going on?

Honestly, I think that is too specialized of a product, especially at that size.

One thing that you will want to consider is that high gain (transmittance) rear projection has a narrow field of view. I have not used any black screen material, but have used high gain grey rear projection and it has some challenges with blended projection. Depending on where you sit, you will have a blending inconsistencies. You will have gradient curve that is different than expected, which will likely leave a darker band in the middle of the blend when viewed straight on and off to the side as you move away from center. This will probably take some experimentation to make it work right (possibly a bigger blend area).

@Hutcoy

Hey, I'm kind of a lurker on these boards, but I work for Gerriets in NJ. If you are still looking, I know we have some crazy size rear projection screens in our rental stock. We may be able to help you out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back