Blackwrap

Charc

I just got a roll of Apollo (;)) brand blackwrap the other day. I've never used blackwrap before, but I have used aluminum foil! :mrgreen: It appears to be similar stuff. I was wondering if there were any general practices or techniques I should know when using it though. The Dept Head got it to contain some "spill light" from a few lights I've placed on the house balconies. (6x22, PAR64)

Do I need to physically attach my blackwrap to an instrument, or when I bend it around, will it stay on? Any other blackwrap thoughts?

You've only experienced half the fun. I have such a fetish for this product, and if Apollo or anyone else made a price-competitive product, I'd be ecstatic:

http://www.citytheatrical.com/ //tapes// Blacktak™!

Someone recently tried to trade me a roll of Blackwrap™ for my Blacktak™, and I refused, even though the former costs like three times the latter.

It depends on the fixture, sometimes it will stay, sometimes it won't. But, as Derek said, blacktack is the way to go, or you can go to your local auto parts store and get muffler tape, it is essentially the same stuff, foil tape.

Haha, okay point taken, wrong product. But I didn't buy it anyways. The Dept Head dropped it on my desk.

Don't listen to these wrap snobs Charc!

I love my Apollo black wrap and muffler tape. It costs about the same to buy a roll of Black Tack or a roll of Black Wrap and muffler tape... but you get a 25' roll from Apollo and only 15' from City. My cheap roll of muffler tape handles the rest. You don't need adhesive everywhere, all you need are a few pieces here and there to hold it on making the muffler tape perfect. Apollo wrap and muffler tape all the way!

My favorite trick with black wrap is using a gel frame as a base and folding the wrap to create either barn doors or top hats. It's also good for covering light leak out the back or sides from an older instrument.

Can I get some gum for this endorsement Keith?

My favorite trick with black wrap is using a gel frame as a base and folding the wrap to create either barn doors or top hats. It's also good for covering light leak out the back or sides from an older instrument. /QUOTE]

Mine is using 2 - 24" high rolls as a quick ground row mask for Altman Ground Cycs for my one-off dance events. When it's part of a $1500 rental, spending the $50 for the Black-Wrap seems more cost effective then paying carps to build velour covered masking flats and having to store the ****ed things.

Steve Bailey
Brooklyn College

<Can I get some gum for this endorsement Keith? >

How do I properly handle this without sending the signal that 'I can be bought...'?

:)

This may be real obvious, but, I'm going to say it anyway for the sake of posterity. be careful when using blackwrap not restrict air flow into or out of your lnstruments < fixtures, or whatever y'all call 'em> leave plenty of room between the wrap and any vent holes

Go to any car parts store and ask for muffler tape. It's a thin metal... aluminum I think... with high temperature glue on it. Perfect for attaching black wrap to an instrument... or if you have instruments without safety clips to hold the gel frames in, a little muffler tape is great when you need the instrument at a weird angle.

I'm trying to bribe Keith to send me a big box of Apollo gum. They have these tiny little boxes of chiclet gum that say Apollo on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back