Block and Tackle for an Austrian Drop

Hey all, I don't get into much rigging but for the show were building we need to setup a block and tackle setup for an Austrian drop.
Because the drop gathers and gets heavier as it ascends we'd ideally like to make a block and tackle setup that starts as a 2:1 but at a point progresses or turns into a 3:1 if that makes sense and exists.
I suspect this is a thing and I just don't know the terminology to search it out.
I found a couple vague youtube videos searching "progressive block and tackle" but nothing really informative.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Seems like this qualifies for, "if you have to ask, hire a pro". A block and tackle rig like you describe wouldn't even have the effect you want, unless you want to fly out your rag reaallllyyy slowly, like minutes rather than seconds. Sure the mechanical advantage would make it lighter, but you'll be hauling a lot more line, which takes time. Not to mention that when you somehow 'switch' to your 3:1, you have to pull a lot faster to maintain travel speed.

Seems like this qualifies for, "if you have to ask, hire a pro". A block and tackle rig like you describe wouldn't even have the effect you want, unless you want to fly out your rag reaallllyyy slowly, like minutes rather than seconds. Sure the mechanical advantage would make it lighter, but you'll be hauling a lot more line, which takes time. Not to mention that when you somehow 'switch' to your 3:1, you have to pull a lot faster to maintain travel speed.

The 2 to 1 setup we have going is working quite well except for the last quarter of the pull or so and then the person who would normally be operating it is really struggling.
I did some googling around and saw reference to “progressive” mechanical advantages. I posted a little video below.
It looks like it involves a slipping Prussik somehow but I was hoping to find more info on the topic.

I am the professional and I get paid to learn, study and expand my range of skills everyday.
It’s an awesome gig :)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sean,

I see where you're going, however the video you've posted here is not what you're after. This is a rope rescue/hauling system and as such required considerable space to make work.
Austrians are really fairly simple with a counterweighted arbor in play, and don't require nearly the "footprint" of the system above. Mine is shoehorned into the ceiling of one of my venues that tops out at a whopping 11 feet (the rag itself being about 8'H x 25'W.)
Since the default answer for the ol' CB is that we don't get into specifics of how to rig stuff, I'd definitely encourage you to contact someone local to you and see what they can do for you. If you'd like recommendations, I bet the hive mind will have plenty to offer.
Thanks!
-Brian

Last edited:
That makes sense.
I hadn’t considered that rigging specifics would be dodgy here.
Our setup is pretty simple and standard.
We’ve got a 40’ pipe that will be in a pocket at the bottom of the Austrian with 5 ropes going up to pulleys at our catwalk rederiecting upstage of a drop with pulleys redirecting back down to another 40’ counterbalance pipe that the operator is pulling down through a 2:1. It works fine until the austrian gathers and gets heavier near the top.
I’ve never seen a setup that can compensate for that change in required pull.
I assume it’s possible but haven’t found the right info yet or what that system or technique would even be called.
I’ll keep searching.
I’ve cracked bigger nuts.

Sean,

I see where you're going, however the video you've posted here is not what you're after. This is a rope rescue/hauling system and as such required considerable space to make work.
Austrians are really fairly simple with a counterweighted arbor in play, and don't require nearly the "footprint" of the system above. Mine is shoehorned into the ceiling of one of my venues that tops out at a whopping 11 feet (the rag itself being about 8'H x 25'W.)
Since the default answer for the ol' CB is that we don't get into specifics of how to rig stuff, I'd definitely encourage you to contact someone local to you and see what they can do for you. If you'd like recommendations, I bet the hive mind will have plenty to offer.
Thanks!
-Brian

Last edited:
I hadn’t considered that rigging specifics would be dodgy here.
Here's the problem with getting rigging advice on the internet. REAL pro riggers like @egilson1 and @What Rigger? Will NEVER give out detailed rigging information online. They take safety extremely seriously and would never risk the dangers of giving out information to someone without knowing the skills of that person. Pro-riggers keep safe by being paranoid and not taking risks.

Thus the vast majority of rigging information you find on the internet is posted by people who are either inexperienced or only think they know what they are talking about. For years we didn't allow the discussion of rigging at all on CB because we worried about what would happen if bad rigging advice was given out and someone got hurt... Or good rigging advice was given out and someone used it wrong. Today we allow minimal discussion of rigging under the careful watchful eyes of the CB mods and our resident riggers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back