The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Blown Fuses

Discussion in 'Question of the Day' started by ship, Feb 7, 2007.

1. ship

ship Senior Team Emeritus Premium Member

On fuses:

Overloaded Fuses will have a ________ window as the wire has broken without much heat buildup.

Short Circuited Fuses will have a ________ window as the wire has vaporized in a short amount of time.

Is this dark / clean window concept the same on lamps? IF so describe.

2. sound_nerd

sound_nerd Active Member

Overloaded Fuses will have a CLEAR window as the wire has broken without much heat buildup.

Short Circuited Fuses will have a DARKENED window as the wire has vaporized in a short amount of time.

The same situation I believe happens to lamps, although I don't have anything sitting here to check against. If a lamp gets broken due to being moved around when it's cool (no heat build up), there is no clouding of the glass.
    When the lamp is broken while there's load on it, from a short circuit or whatever the case, it does cloud up the glass. I assume this is caused by the wire vaporizing quickly.

3. highschooltech

highschooltech Active Member

overload= clear, the fuse worked like it was supposed to and broke
    short circuit= black, the fuse didn't work properly or was completely overloaded with voltage