Blue Edge and Brown Edge

Projecting a gobo with a Fresnel? No problem, just follow these simple steps:

1) Remove the glass from the bulb.
2) Spot weld the gobo to a lamp support about 1/8 inch above the filament facing the front.
3) Reinstall the glass and suck the air out of the bulb.
4) Add some inert gas and seal well.
5) Remove the reflector.
6) Replace the lens with a PC lens.

See! Nice gobo projector! (Ignore the big white springs visible on the projection.)

Wow, thanks JD! I'm sure that'll go over great with my Lighting Supervisor... :twisted:

Nah, I want to use a Source Four Multi-Par to do gobos, I'm not too fond of our fresnels.

Seems a little dogmatic, IMO.

I like to advise that the designer choose whatever tools - I.E., ellipsoidal, Par, scoop, fresnel, 100w A lamp in a socket, you need for the job and do not pay attention to popular convention or other opinions.

Experiment until you develop a sense of your own needs and a grasp of what the tools bring to the design.

I haven't had a fresnel in my theater in 25 years. Few have asked for one. If need be, I can make an S4 ellipsoidal do what a fresnel does, but have yet to master the trick of making a Fresnel project a gobo. I prefer ellipsoidals as side lights, as they offer shuttering off legs and scenery. But this is particular to my space and I would never presume to tell someone that a particular type of fixture should "Never" be used for something.

My $.02

Steve B

Agreed... in a broad sense, re-read USITT tech in the "Go-Fres" about issue #18 if I remember correctly.

Might disagree largely on the use of a Fresnel in general but respect that observation.

2) Spot weld the gobo to a lamp support about 1/8 inch above the filament facing the front.
5) Remove the reflector.

See! Nice gobo projector! (Ignore the big white springs visible on the projection.)

Not the way its presented (in me getting out the booklet) USITT "Theatre Technology Exhibit 1991". Article 15 by Mark Zetterberg of Central Washington University.

Get it... Learn it - its possible and easy to do in a based on Linenbacher projector type of way...

Derek, I'm having trouble following this, just going off the Rosco website, because my swatch books are on the second and first floors, respectively.

The thesis brought forth by LekoBoy states that Source4s, don't soften "as nice" as "other Lekos" used to. Which indicates that "other Lekos" no longer soften "as nice". Additionally "as nice" is hearsay, because it is neither quantitative nor qualitative, simply a question of aesthetics.

None the less, "'Dip", building off of LekoBoy's comment, hypothesized that perhaps that was the reason that designers using her school's blackbox tend to use frost in their frontlight systems, which I am taking to mean any diffusion, and not specifically R100 "Frost".

Derek then corroborated this hypothesis with his post. His post seems to suggest (though not stated in definite terms) that R114 was used primarily in 360Qs, which I'm taking to mean "other Lekos", and that R119 and R132 were developed by Rosco in response to the introduction and widespread acceptance of the Source4 ERS.

However, Rosco's website states that R114 is a "very light frost", and that R119 is "Lighter than 114", and given the name of R132 "Quarter Hamburg Frost", I'm assuming that is is also lighter than R114, which is named "Hamburg Frost".

I'm presuming that by not softening "as nice", one would require additional diffusion to correct the issue, and go back to the "nicer" standard set by "other Lekos". However, Rosco indicates that the gel, allegedly primarily developed in response to, and used in, Source4 ERSs, actually contains less diffusive properties than those primarily used in "other Lekos" which already softened "nicer".

Dip breaks out the swatchboook...
Charc's right, that doesn't quite make sense.... Care to elaborate, Derek?

Then again, it's nice to use to use diffusion anyways.

However, Rosco's website states that R114 is a "very light frost", and that R119 is "Lighter than 114", and given the name of R132 "Quarter Hamburg Frost", I'm assuming that is is also lighter than R114, which is named "Hamburg Frost".

I'm rather partial to R-116 myself. Of course, I don't use it in my Source 4's.

'Dip'Oaldabs, I hope this helps.

The following contains some inferences based on experience and observation, but the historical facts are absolutely correct. Note I am speaking of professional designers working with union crew members and rental fixtures.

Before 1992, designers would focus a wash of ERSs by setting a sharp edge, making shutter cuts, and then running the barrel either slightly out or in to soften the edge. In theory, after the first light was focused, the designer and electrician knew the barrel setting for all the other lights. In practice however, the bench focus of the light played a major factor and sometimes one light would look better with barrel in, even though all of its brothers had barrel out. On order to speed the focus process, some clever designers took to focusing all units sharp, and then adding the lightest frost available at the time, R114.

When the SourceFour became the standard, the practice continued and escalated, as designers saw that the S4 beam was almost too perfect. It was difficult to obtain a soft edge that would blend with its neighbors. So the practice of adding Hamburg became even more commonplace. But never being satisfied, designers wanted a less soft edge than R114 afforded, but didn't want/couldn't to go back to running the barrel. Thus begat R119. After a few years, again designers decided they wanted something slightly less soft, and R132 was born. Choosing from three densities of Hamburg is still more efficient than having an IA guy run the barrel on every light, while 27 other stagehands look on.

It offends my sensibilities to think of putting frost in a template unit, so forgive me if I ignore that. I must ask if same designer also insisted on donuts?

"Frost" is a generic term which may be used to refer to any diffusion, not just R100. I've used the term "Hamburg" above when referring to all three R114, R119, R132. There are rough equivalents in Lee and Apollo. GAM is unique in that they offer 9 different degrees of diffusion, from 10-10 to 10-90. I'm still searching for the perfect diffusion for my followspots. See http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/5772-ever-put-baggy-followspot.html?highlight=baggy.

For a garage experiment, sharp focus an S4, with shutter cuts. Run the barrel and observe the edge. Put it back to sharp. Now try 114, 119, and 132. Post your findings! Obviously the desired edge will vary depending on the fixture's intended purpose, so this exercize is an abstraction. And we have yet to touch on peak vs. cosine distribution.

Who doesn't spec' diffusion in their ERSs these days?

Me. Used to, stopped doing it because you lose some lumens to the frost.

'Dip'Oaldabs, I hope this helps.
It did!
And are we the same entity now? And can't you come up with a better name?

The following contains some inferences based on experience and observation, but the historical facts are absolutely correct. Note I am speaking of professional designers working with union crew members and rental fixtures.

Before 1992, designers would focus a wash of ERSs by setting a sharp edge, making shutter cuts, and then running the barrel either slightly out or in to soften the edge. In theory, after the first light was focused, the designer and electrician knew the barrel setting for all the other lights. In practice however, the bench focus of the light played a major factor and sometimes one light would look better with barrel in, even though all of its brothers had barrel out. On order to speed the focus process, some clever designers took to focusing all units sharp, and then adding the lightest frost available at the time, R114.

When the SourceFour became the standard, the practice continued and escalated, as designers saw that the S4 beam was almost too perfect. It was difficult to obtain a soft edge that would blend with its neighbors. So the practice of adding Hamburg became even more commonplace. But never being satisfied, designers wanted a less soft edge than R114 afforded, but didn't want/couldn't to go back to running the barrel. Thus begat R119. After a few years, again designers decided they wanted something slightly less soft, and R132 was born. Choosing from three densities of Hamburg is still more efficient than having an IA guy run the barrel on every light, while 27 other stagehands look on.
Agreed.

It offends my sensibilities to think of putting frost in a template unit, so forgive me if I ignore that. I must ask if same designer also insisted on donuts?
Donuts and frost in the template slot? Huh...

"Frost" is a generic term which may be used to refer to any diffusion, not just R100. I've used the term "Hamburg" above when referring to all three R114, R119, R132. There are rough equivalents in Lee and Apollo. GAM is unique in that they offer 9 different degrees of diffusion, from 10-10 to 10-90. I'm still searching for the perfect diffusion for my followspots. See http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/5772-ever-put-baggy-followspot.html?highlight=baggy.
I did read that. I actually was perusing your website when I was looking at the Source Four with lampshade.
I think I'll need to search (and if it doesn't exist, create a thread) about diffusions, as I wandered into that section of my swatchbooks the other day, and wondered what the primary uses of each of them were (as they keep getting more bizarre-- compare R132 to AP1400, L414, or L460...) Or we could just discuss it here?

For a garage experiment, sharp focus an S4, with shutter cuts. Run the barrel and observe the edge. Put it back to sharp. Now try 114, 119, and 132. Post your findings! Obviously the desired edge will vary depending on the fixture's intended purpose, so this exercise is an abstraction. And we have yet to touch on peak vs. cosine distribution.
My garage needs expanding of it's inventory. Charc has LED PARs in his, and you apparently have a large quantity of S4s lying about. :lol: It also doesn't help that I get more "garage experiment" ideas the longer I stay on CB...
So I suppose I'll have to wait until sometime I can wander into the school's lx room to try that (or if cdub's reading this, want to help?).
I'd love to touch on peak vs cosine. I thought the consensus here was keep it as cosine as possible...

Here's my ten characters--
Yes, I'm taking up Charc's replying in the quote method, as it's much quicker.

"Template unit" = any ERS with a gobo in it. The gobo goes in the template holder in the pattern slot, and the donut goes into the colorframe holder(s), and the diffusion media goes into the file.

From Apollo's http://downloads.goapollo.com/Color%20filter%20guide.pdf
AP1200 EARLY MORNING FROST

A good medium diffusion. Softens
shutter cuts and
harsh gobo edges
in new generation [?].
A good diffusion
to use when AP1650 is too light.
I suspect the missing word [?] is "fixtures" or "ERSs". While I still don't agree with using frost with a gobo, Apollo does help prove my point in a roundabout way about needing frost with S4s. I'm saddened to report this color didn't prove satisfactory in my Super Troupers. The quest continues.

'Dip, see Rosco US : Technotes : Filters : Diffusion Confusion, and http://www.rosco.com/includes/technotes/filters/FilterFacts_06.pdf, pp19-21. While both are geared toward film and video where the edge quality is not as important as in stage lighting, they do explain what all the "frosts" are for. Start a new thread with your personal views on diffusion media.

While searching, I found this poll http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...ners-gel-holders-not.html?highlight=diffusion, in which our new users might want to participate/comment.

designers would focus a wash of ERSs by setting a sharp edge, making shutter cuts, and then running the barrel either slightly out or in to soften the edge.
How would this work? Last I checked running the barrel will move where your shutter cuts are even on a perfectly benched fixture.
Good designers know this, and thus will keep the cuts slightly inward, OR, will have the focuser retouch the critical shutter cuts after the desired edge is achieved. Even when using X132, sometimes shutters need to be retouched. See this post http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...hat-brand-gel-what-does-cost-3.html#post78866 and a few that follow it.

Last edited:
Who doesn't spec' diffusion in their ERSs these days?

Me. Used to, stopped doing it because you lose some lumens to the frost.

How would this work? Last I checked running the barrel will move where your shutter cuts are even on a perfectly benched fixture.

Most of the designers that come through my theatre don't spec diffusion. They would tell you that it is a mark of a lazy or a Yale designer. Point, cut, blend. That is how we do it. When done right, I think you can get a better blend with more lumens on stage if you get your edge through focusing the fixture rather than using diffusion.

As for the question of moving the shutters, running the barrel does not effect where the cuts are, just how the light moves around the cuts. If you make a sharp cut to a wall and then run the barrel, the cut will still be at the wall, but you may change the "feathering" of the beam to either feather in from the cut (making the wall darker) or feather out from the cut (making the wall brighter. It all depends on how you need your fixtures to blend.

Generally I get the instrument centered, then have the electrician do cuts, then touch the beam edge, and if the cuts drift we retouch. If I know the focus is going to be really tight and has to be "just so" I'll often have them push a shutter a little way in and adjust the edge looking at the shutter. Once the edge is right we do shutter cuts.

This is pretty much standard procedure, isn't it?

5) Remove the reflector.

You've obviously never worked film.

Does cdub want to help?

Here's my ten characters--
Yes, I'm taking up Charc's replying in the quote method, as it's much quicker.

Sure, I'll help. You know how to find me, don't you?

I've really only wound this to be an issue with my 5 and 10 degree Source 4's. Except for the whole working 25 ft in the air while standing on a pipe attached to a truss awkwardness, its really easy to just retouch the shutter cut after running the barrel.

I'm really intrigued by this idea, but it feels a little too home-brew for me. Anyways else have any comments on a DIY Linnebach? PMs accepted, for electrical safety reasons.

I made a Linebacher projector out of two Century 8" #1560 Lekolights. This by way of removing reflector and lens train plus gate from the cannon of a fixture. Large painted plexiglass screen that was optically arranged than spiked into place at a focal point that in the location did its best effect. Than the stray light was blocked after focusing. Basically it was a slide with behind it a large wattage lamp at a focused proximity without reflection and refraction.

Worked well - loved the effect though for these lamps the filaments were large enough that they didn't do such a great graphic effect. Shielding for the lamps was nominal in this case given huge (discontinued) filament incandescent lamps and in general placing the fixtures away from people - this plus the shielding of them for light escaping.

Smaller filament will have worked for a more graphic image but also given throw distance and size of it it played a role. My throw distance was short and size large, this with filiment that was large worked well for projecting a less realistic image with painted slide. - - REally just black paint on plexiglass and it worked to the effect given the background and a scrim.

Overall, more lively in look than that of a gobo and for the most part wider in focus than possible - this much less given the fixture location, would not short of a very custom gobo and wide focus fixture.. it looked better in the end in showing a natural effect that gobos from a single source could not do realistically. Sharp angles like this I had - only a few feet between stretched screen and scrim need the ability to aim the slide to focus it properly. Not true Linenbacher - got three of them on a storage shelf, but effect done in simply manually focusing the painted large slide than spiking it in place.

Electrical safety... for me it was incandascent. If you need to 1" chicken wire the frame of the fixture or rope off the area. Beyond that, its an old effect that some computer programming and special money paid could achieve.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back