Board Upgrade Part 2

Ouch! There are HS techs that are working to prepare their students for the worlds of touring and college tech programs. I just completed a load-in to a non-performance space with a full truss system, 20 stagebar 54L and an IPC. Two days before our musical went up (pictures coming soon), where they have been programing for the last week on a completely different language in a strand 300 series desk.
Very few schools have as much money as you guys do. Hmm, thinking back I think I may have met you IRL 4ish years ago back when I was a student working at NCAC....

Very few schools have as much money as you guys do.

You are absolutely right...I am very lucky and blessed to be working for an affluent school district. Though the tricky part is keeping them out of their own way :rolleyes:

It was a weekend rental...but MAN I would love to have some of those 54Ls to replace my rondels.

But to bring us back to the board upgrade concept, they (our talking heads in the admin) would need to replace/upgrade our 100 attribute/channel strand 300 desk.

Here in Australia an Ion, wing and RFU cost US$20,000+

Here in Australia an Ion, wing and RFU cost US$20,000+

That is unfortunate, it would cost about half that for me to buy you one and ship it to you! Though I suppose that depends on the model as there are three standard ION configurations. The configs vary in channel count, the lowest, which gives you 1024 channels is designed to compete with the Hog 1000, a mid range, and a high end, the channel counts of the mid and high I don't remember. (I think one is a 2048 and one is something else). The low end with a wing should price out under $10K USD here in the US.

1000, 1500, and 2000 channel versions.

But just for you, if you buy one today, for every 500 outputs you buy, we will throw in 12 for free!

:p

1000, 1500, and 2000 channel versions.
Significantly better than the Expression3's 400, 800, and 1200 channel versions. Original Expression was 250, right? But the (non-original?) Concept was the exact same console, but did 500 channels across two universes.

Wasn't there a very earlier version of the Concept, that was nothing like a double-Expression, or was that the Idea? What ETC board did Candlelight Dinner Theatre in Chicago have around 1985?

I hate when manufacturers re-use product names!
(You know who you are.)

Significantly better than the Expression3's 400, 800, and 1200 channel versions. Original Expression was 250, right? But the (non-original?) Concept was the exact same console, but did 500 channels across two universes.

.)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Ion - as ETC puts it, can access channel numbering from 1 to 5000, with 1000, 1500 or 2000 DMX addresses.

As ea, channel can control multiple attributes, the actual console channel count is somewhat less important then the number of addresses available, as that becomes the limiting factor of dimmers, scrollers and ML's.

I'm still un-clear if Ion can be upgraded at a later date with additional addresses.

Steve B.

It is my understanding that it can be, up to the 2000 output level. I.e. if you have a 1500 output version, it can be upgraded to the 2000 output version. However, if you have a 2000 output version, your upgrade would be to an EOS desk.

I'm still un-clear if Ion can be upgraded at a later date with additional addresses.

It is my understanding that it can be, up to the 2000 output level. I.e. if you have a 1500 output version, it can be upgraded to the 2000 output version. However, if you have a 2000 output version, your upgrade would be to an EOS desk.

I actually asked that question last week when we had our demo and none of the ETC guys knew, but it sounded like they leaned towards no. However, it seems like something that a little update to the software could give you more channels. So, you shouldn't take my word for it, but that was the apparent consensus that I got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back