Board upgrade

All the chinese lighting stuff that i get is made by a very good company called Fine Art. Its not american dj quality but looks like something clay paky would make. Very clean and very well built. I also support all the products i sell from Fine Art, and keep several spare's on the shelf along with parts. All of the products i have gotten from them have been in perfect working condition and havent had a single problem with one of them. (except one that they dropped off the truck and broke a color tube in along with the lamp, and one they let the genny run out of fuel and it took out the power supply) but thats nothing thats different than what any other fixture would do if the same thing happened.

Is there a website that i can take a look at some of the products?

Well i talk to my director. He likes the idea of getting a more forware thinking board. He still wants to get LEDs, but i am seeing if he likes the idea of getting some color scrollers now, and then in a few years get LEDs.

Now the next step is to have a meeting with the develoment deptment. We will see how that goes

have you ever seen anything built by fine art? You know those pretty little elation moving head led's. All of elations high output led stuff comes from fine art. They come out with it about 6-12 months before elation does. Its very well made stuff. Next time i have to take one of our searchlights apart (because some goober dropped the road case), i'll take pics. They are very well made and blows any syncrolight away.

OK, be very careful with the ColorTran Innovator series... We have one at a local middle school, and rather often (close to once every show, before, after, or sometimes during) it will lock up, or do something funny, like a slider will stop working, or the display will freeze up, or the whole thing freezes up, and it is often solved by (this is true) giving it a nice hard thump to the left of the trackball on the console. It sounds truly caveman, but even unplugging and plugging the console back in doesn't work sometimes. When it froze once, I hit it like I described above, all the FL indicators on the screen lit up for a quick second, then everything was back to normal.

If these are the same problems that others are experiencing, it may be very possible that the choice of internal connector (board-to-board) chosen by NSI/ColorTran for this board is rather faulty and tends to become unseated often.

I haven't taken the board apart to take a look, and since it's the schools, I'm rather apprehensive of doing so. For now, we make sure to have the shelf for the board's VGA monitor serve dual purpose as beverage holder, so if something spills, "Oooops, I guess we have to get a new one!"

By the way, this school is fairly recently constructed (2001) and is a middle school, and I feel very lucky to work in such an environment, with 2 i96 dimmer racks and this console, which is much more than many *high schools* have. I went to this middle school a few years ago, where I started in lighting/sound for performances, and have since moved on to the highschool, but I still go back to do shows at the middle school because it has better equipment that the high school does!

Bah, Our highschool was built with a i96 Dimmer Rack, Lutron Pre-Set Lighting Control, and a Innovator 600.

A few months into usage our Innovator board started constantly locking up, and the Lutron system would randomly turn up and down lighting on stage and the house lights. Our system has ColorNet or DMX however I don't think they ever setup ColorNet as the only hookup for it is in the booth and it goes down to the rack in the electrical closet. I don't know how they'll design your school but our school wasn't designed quite well for future upgrades in the theater. There's no possible way of doing movable lights, or anything that requires DMX, colornet doesnt go anywhere, and a bunch of other stuff.

Hopefully your Innovator system has better luck.
We have a new install of an almost identical setup, and I would steer new purchasers away from it as well. Like Ricky my Colornet terminations are in bizarre locations that aren't exactly helpful - see my request for information regarding wireless DMX.

I'm not sure which Innovator we have - never looked at the model - but the darn thing locks up frequently. Leviton did trade us for a new console, and I haven't run the new one long enough yet to see if the problem was solved. One trick for others posting about lockups - do a hard reset on the board, create a basic show with system settings that you like, and back it up to a disk. When the board starts getting flaky, do the hard reset again and load a fresh setup. The manual will tell you how to do the hard reset, I don't remember the exact sequence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back