Boom Base add casters

Saw this umbrella stand this morning. This is the concept I was talking about in my previous post.
IMG_1498.jpg
IMG_1497.jpg

Hello, everyone~!

I have a quick question, can I add caster on this boom base? What are those 4 holes on the corner? Is that for casters?
Thank you for all of your help.
This has been a fun discussion to read through. One of the things I enjoy about working with technicians in the entertainment business is our ability to not just answer questions with a yes or no, but to go further and ferret out any potential issues that could arise from implementing our ideas. Most people outside this industry would shake their heads at us and tell that we're over thinking it because it's just a stinking boom base, but to us we see it as both a problem in need of a solution and a solution in need of a problem. If we don't see it that way, someone gets hurt.

That said, the boom base you posted is made by SSRC in South Carolina (https://www.ssrconline.com/pipes.html). We at BMI Supply have stocked and sold them for many years because the design is simple, flexible, and easy to handle (https://shop.bmisupply.com/truss-stands-bases/boom-bases). The four 1/2" holes in the bases are indeed intended to be used for either adding stem casters or anchoring the base to the floor with lag bolts. One comment mentioned stage screws, but stage screws are not quite long enough to adequately anchor the plate to the floor, so I would not recommend using them. The reality is the the holes can be used for whatever accessory you can come up with whether it be casters, leveling feet, lag bolts, or a place to put used chewing gum. Yes, you absolutely need to be careful about using the bases with casters because you immediately reduce the footprint of the base. As others mentioned you should add weight to the base when using casters and I would recommend using locking casters. Is using casters on this base the best idea? No. The other ideas of a base like volleyball standards is the best approach if you need to move it quickly, but if you don't have the space to tip the base while loaded with fixtures and maneuver it off stage, then adding casters to this base is your better option. Trying to tip even an 8' high boom with fixtures and move it off stage with out catching masking and hitting performers would not be easy. There is another boom base design that is called the Ultimate Theatre Base Plate that allows for the pipe to be threaded in at the edge of the plate to improve stability with or without casters, but these plates are more expensive than traditional bases. The reason is that they are designed to accept nearly any truss plate, has both a center and edge position for 1.5" pipe, and the corners feature 5/8-11 threaded holes for casters or other uses (https://shop.bmisupply.com/ProductDetail/15E10001). The plates are available in 20"x20" and 32"x32". There are always options to get a job done, it just typically comes down to time and money.

Hello, everyone~!

I have a quick question, can I add caster on this boom base? What are those 4 holes on the corner? Is that for casters?
Thank you for all of your help.
On every ballet or other show using boom bases the holes are used to lag bolt them to the deck,as well a spot line dropped from the grid to the top of the tree. I know those in school type places often have “rules” that won’t let you lag into the stage. Their stupid, the deck is wood in viturly all stage decks for a reason, you can screw into it. When the lag hole is abandon it’s easy enough to drill it out and plug it with a wood dowel. Most old stage floors get covered over with Masonite when they get ratty anayway. Replacing Masonite is fast easy and cheep.

One comment mentioned stage screws, but stage screws are not quite long enough to adequately anchor the plate to the floor, so I would not recommend using them.

If we ever screwed them down, it was just using drywall screws. The purpose wasn't anchor them necessarily, it was just to make sure they didn't get bumped.
Also many theatres don't allow you to use anything but drywall screws into the deck without incurring a fee.

If we ever screwed them down, it was just using drywall screws. The purpose wasn't anchor them necessarily, it was just to make sure they didn't get bumped.
Also many theatres don't allow you to use anything but drywall screws into the deck without incurring a fee.
Have you considered inserts internally threaded with machine screw threads, externally threaded with coarser threads, designed to get a serious bite into wood yet still be removable with minimal damage. Normally they have a substantial slot cut across one end for driving in and / out. They can be left in place in locations used repeatedly or removed, the remaining hole drilled clean, and a short length of dowel hammered in and held in place with glue for a more permanent repair.

Theatre owners / boards of directors need to understand a stage surface is a workplace not to be confused with a polished piece of living room furniture.
@Van Care to comment on stages and folks who treat them akin to furniture?

The Back Stage Handbook used to illustrate them.
Here's a link to many types of similar products: https://www.google.com/search?sourc...hUKEwi94q-3nqjrAhXxnuAKHfXwBuMQ4dUDCAk&uact=5
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I actually wheeled one of those bases for a student show! We were doing it for scenic reasons, though.

I would say, yes, you can wheel them, but it’s not great. I’ve never seen stem casters with double locks, so I love the droopy sandbag fix someone else suggested.
A16DC483-FC80-4A3D-904E-1DF0200EFC45.jpeg

The worst part about watching you mount that urinal is it doesn't appear to be new.
When I read your post about watching Chase MOUNT the urinal; I had to scroll back and shield my eyes. In my mind I was imagining a totally different vision of "MOUNTING".
Oh silly me. Forgive me for thinking like @derekleffew .
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

The worst part about watching you mount that urinal is it doesn't appear to be new.
You are correct, it was not new. It had, however, sat outside in the sun and rain at the salvage yard, so I’m 93% sure it wasn’t too gross.

Gross was augering “feminine hygiene products” out of a residential drain this morning.
My new job as a maintenance guy is less glamorous than theater, but it sure pays better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back