Boomerang - Past optics?

L119 is a difusion gell.
JH

Hey folks, time to check your gel books. Lee 119 is a deep blue.

Perhaps you all are thinking of R119 ?.

FWIW, the Rosco Hamburg diffusion line runs like this:

- R114 - Hamburg Frost
- R119 - Half Hamburg Frost
- R132 - 1/4 Hamburg
- R150 - Subtle Hamburg - this is a new one recently listed on the Rosco site.

We also use "FBF", or Freezer Bag Frost (in our 3kw Lycian Xenons), which is exactly what it sounds like. It's slightly less dense then R132, but now I have to try R150.

As to the subject, the Lycian 1200 series has a slot just behind the color boom, called the Dip Stick slot (between
the color boom and iris/shutters). Lycian makes the Dip Stick accessory that allows a gobo or a different color or frost to be used in the slot. It's about a 14" or so long piece of metal with 2 - 6" (or so) apertures. We tend to keep one side with R118, the other with FBF, so as to get full usage of the 6 colors on the boom.

Steve Bailey
Brooklyn College

Hey folks, time to check your gel books. Lee 119 is a deep blue.
Perhaps you all are thinking of R119 ?.
FWIW, the Rosco Hamburg diffusion line runs like this:
- R114 - Hamburg Frost
- R119 - Half Hamburg Frost
- R132 - 1/4 Hamburg
- R150 - Subtle Hamburg - this is a new one recently listed on the Rosco site.
We also use "FBF", or Freezer Bag Frost (in our 3kw Lycian Xenons), which is exactly what it sounds like. It's slightly less dense then R132, but now I have to try R150.
As to the subject, the Lycian 1200 series has a slot just behind the color boom, called the Dip Stick slot (between
the color boom and iris/shutters). Lycian makes the Dip Stick accessory that allows a gobo or a different color or frost to be used in the slot. It's about a 14" or so long piece of metal with 2 - 6" (or so) apertures. We tend to keep one side with R118, the other with FBF, so as to get full usage of the 6 colors on the boom.
Steve Bailey
Brooklyn College

I don't have a Lee gel book! Just a rosco gel book... :cry:

I'll have to look into the Dipstick Accessory in order to try this out. Would it be too hot in there for the ol' pie tin gobo? I mean, considering it's essentially a jagged edged circle, I thought it'd be okay.

I don't have a Lee gel book! Just a rosco gel book... :cry:
I'll have to look into the Dipstick Accessory in order to try this out. Would it be too hot in there for the ol' pie tin gobo? I mean, considering it's essentially a jagged edged circle, I thought it'd be okay.

Before you go nuts looking for the dipstick slot, I meant to say "Lycian 1290" series, which is their 2/3/4 kw xenon series units.

Note that on these units, the dipstick and color boom position are fan cooled, so I imagine it would be fine to put a pie-tin gobo in the slot.

As to gel books. This comment belongs in the "Lighting in the Academic" post - in that everyone should have a complete selection of Rosco, Lee, GAM and Apollo gel books as part of their basic tool kit.

SB

SB

I would try an old cat food can lid if you can find one these days! (they're all pop-tops these days) Back in the day, I used to use the steel lids for cheap gobos. On an FEL based spot, this should work as there is cooling clearance between the lamp and the iris gate. The big problem with gobos can be if they confine too much heat in the lamp area. From what you describe, there should be a pretty big opening in it. You should be able to punch a hole at one edge and attach a bare piece of wire and lower it in there. I know there's a lot better way of doing this, but as a test, this is a real low-budget method!

From running the FEL spot in question (thogh it prolly wasn't bench focused..never mind), I can say that standard gobos have gotten orange-hot at the center and bent/contorted a bit. What that says for pie-tins, you got me. D:

From running the FEL spot in question (thogh it prolly wasn't bench focused..never mind), I can say that standard gobos have gotten orange-hot at the center and bent/contorted a bit. What that says for pie-tins, you got me. D:

Uh... ****, that idea is scratched!

Uh... ****, that idea is scratched!

If you are making a ring gobo like discussed earlier in the thread, then it shouldn't matter as most of the light will pass through it, and there isn't much gobo to burn.Also, you could go to a local print shop and see if they have any old printing plates that they no longer need. The thin tin print plates work well for gobos.

If you are making a ring gobo like discussed earlier in the thread, then it shouldn't matter as most of the light will pass through it, and there isn't much gobo to burn.Also, you could go to a local print shop and see if they have any old printing plates that they no longer need. The thin tin print plates work well for gobos.

I'm worried however, that since I will not be able to use my iris with this, and given the throw, it'll end up being a big junk of metal with a smaller then ideal sized hole.

What exactly is a printshop? Not sure I've seen one.

You should be able to use your iris with a gobo in...is your frame too large and it's blocking the iris lever? For us, it was always an annoyance as far as size goes, but it still was possible...

You should be able to use your iris with a gobo in...is your frame too large and it's blocking the iris lever? For us, it was always an annoyance as far as size goes, but it still was possible...

Right, but my understanding is, if my gobo is a jagged edged circle, and I iris in to a diameter that is smaller than the circle, isn't my circle going to get cut off?

The simple answer is yes. It's the same slot so the smaller diameter hole will be inside your jagged edge. You will need to vary the overall focus of the lantern to get a smaller size jagged circle. Your follow spots are zoom spots aren't they?

The simple answer is yes. It's the same slot so the smaller diameter hole will be inside your jagged edge. You will need to vary the overall focus of the lantern to get a smaller size jagged circle. Your follow spots are zoom spots aren't they?

I'll double check, but to the best of my knowledge, the Lycian 1206 is not.

The 1206 isn't a zoom spot unfortunately, just a small focus knob and iris is all you get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back